Southdown

waterwolf

Why does southdown say not for aquarium use on the bag? I know its supposed to be good and I have considered using it. Is it high in silicates? Should it be rinsed real good before using it?

nacl-man

I am setting up my tank with SouthDown and I did not rinse the sand first... if you are just planning on dumping it in there be prepared for a ton of clouding, mine did not clear up for 10 days (you can see pics of it on my less-than-professional website)!
One suggestion I saw was to put the sand in first, then place a garbage bag over the sand and weigh it down with some rocks, fill up the tank most of the way, then remove the garbage bag. Don't know if that works but it makes sense.
If it is an established tank I'd use a length of PVC pipe and a funnel to get it to the bottom with minimal clouding, only drawback is if you are adding 100+ pounds that will take about a week!!
I'm new at this, but the garbage bag idea seems like it would work and I've seen the PVC trick work with good results.
Cheers!

doodle1800

Why not rinse it? Get a cheap rubbermaid and rinse it in the basement tub area. Do small amounts at a time. I bet you won't have to wait so long then for it to clear. Besides - its not live sand - just rinse!!

waterwolf

Originally posted by nestofbyrds
Where did you find SD? I have been looking everywhere.

Home Depot has it.

demosthenes

Originally posted by doodle1800
its not live sand - just rinse!!

Like JWT said, you don't want to rinse it so that you can get the very fine silt as well. If you rinse it you lose a lot of the benefit of the sand. Also, to answer the question about getting the SD, it doesn't seem readily available in the MidWest. I've recently been working with a lot of other aquarists in Indiana to get a transfer done, and we're trying to get all the bags accounted for. It's something like 250 spoken for out of 544 or around there I think. So, if you know any IN Reefers who want some SD tell them to email me.