spacing in canopy for MH lights

greenreefer

I have a fairly low profile canopy and I'm sure there isn't enough room currently for decent air flow around MH lights. I found a 3 x 250w MH fixture with t5s that I'd like to get. It has top exhaust fans and would sit on legs keeping it about 4 inches above the top of the tank. My question if I'm going to mod my canopy or build a new one how much room would I want above the top of the MH fixture. the back of the canopy is open and about 5 inches from the wall. Do I need to consider putting other fans in the canopy in addition to the built in ones in the fixture? thanks

stdreb27

imo if you have a canopy really your best option is to go with a retrofit kit. That way you can go with what you want not a cookie cutter system. That and every "book" I've read on fixtures (like current's) doesn't recomend using a canopy on top of a fixture.

reefraff

How tall is your canopy? You can place 250 watt DE halide pendants in a pretty low canopy but you may end up needing to run a chiller to control the tank temp.
Take a look at PFO mini pendants or an online outfit called custom aquatics .com has Via Aqua 250 watt retro pendants for 25 bux each. pretty good deal.

greenreefer

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2809651
How tall is your canopy? You can place 250 watt DE halide pendants in a pretty low canopy but you may end up needing to run a chiller to control the tank temp.
Take a look at PFO mini pendants or an online outfit called custom aquatics .com has Via Aqua 250 watt retro pendants for 25 bux each. pretty good deal.
I currently only have 5 inches inside so I was thinking about just building an extension for the canopy, but wasn't sure how much room to add. I assume you were looking at the 250 DE HQI parabolic reflectors. How much room do you thin they would need between their bottom and the surface of the water?