Spawning question for Bang or anyone who may know.

rwhite

Couple weeks ago (on the 21st to be exact) our Clarkii laid some eggs and we were very happy. I know the survival rates are slim, but we have some questions. First, we noticed a slow decline over the first week and we went out of town on the 30th, but there were still several left when we left and, if I'm not mistaken, we could see eyes on the tips. I assume the initial decline was due to predation, but is it possible that some may have hatched? How long does it take? The reason I ask is that they are all gone, but a new brood has been laid in the same spot. Which brings me to the next question: How often will they spawn? A constant cycle? Only during full moons? Will they stop if unsuccessful? Any info would be great, just trying to get a feel for the couples behavior. Thanks!

rwhite

Thanks! So, it is possible that a few may have hatched and I can expect to see a clutch of eggs constantly? Now that they have mated, they will be a pair for life and continue to spawn?That would be cool. If that is the case, should we cut back on feedings since there will be a natural food source?
Sorry to ask more questions, but its a whole new experience for us. I'll probably have more for those of you brave enough to reply.:D

*bta*

i wouldnt cut back on feedings, and yes they are paired and will lay eggs till one of them dies

rwhite

Bang, if you're still around, did you happen to do a thread about your breeding clowns? For instance, how you started with them and a progression. I'm considering trying my own hand at it in the future and was wondering how you went about creating a good environment for them, etc. If you havent ever done a thread about it, could you maybe give a short version so I may have an idea what may be involved in an undertaking such as this. Or possibly e-mail me if you dont want to get into on the board: jscot71@cox.net

bang guy

The book is an excellent start.
Also do a search for a thread titled "Raising Clownfish 101" by TSL.

rwhite

Thanks all. I'll prolly start with the book, its always nice to have a reference on hand anyway. I thought I'd seen a thread on clown rearing, just couldnt remember who posted. Thanks again and I'll let ya'll know if/when we start the project.
One last question, what is the life expectancy of a Clarkii?

rwhite

WOW! I had no idea. Guess I definitely dont have to rush the project, ours arent even a year in the display. Just a guess, but they probably arent more than 3. Thanks again!