Spectrapure RO/DI not working?

mynfel

Hi all,
I purchased the MPDI-60 today at my LFS and I'm not sure if it's working properly. First of all, after letting it run over 2 hours (during setup - I was supposed to get 2 gallons of purified water to discard) I maybe had a gallon of purified water - that seems a little slow to me (lots of waste water coming out tho). I have a pressure gauge that says it's running at about 50 psi. Now following the directions I'm supposed to figure out the product rate - 135 ml/2 minutes, about 67 - 68 ml/min, and then cut the flow restrictor to 14 inches...well, after pulling out the restrictor I see that it's only 5 inches. This was a brand new system, but it looks like a pretty clean cut (at an angle). Maybe someone swapped theirs in the store or something....I will be contacts the LFS tomorrow about getting a new one, but I am a little irritated that this RO/DI is supposed to produce 60 gpd, and it looks like I will only barely be getting 25 gpd.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
mynfel

mynfel

pretty cold I guess - LFS said to keep it cold...but I can try raising the temp....what's the best temperature?

pyro383

On most units the opt temp should be 72, so unless you live near the equator, your cold water line is going to be COLD. I am up in NY and my cold water line is 56. On the directions it should state the ratio. I know on mine it stated 1.6% loss per degree less than 72. Figure yours out. I have heard conflicting reports regarding teeing the hot/cold water line so that you have 70-72 temp incoming. People say that you get cruddy water from the hot water tank.