Spider conch?

fishhunter

Hi all, I just bought on of these in hopes it will help clean up my sand bed. I have read on the net and in books that they do a good job at this and they also like to burry them selves in the sand.
I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on them. I have a 125 gal reef with 3-6 inches of sand and 200Lbs of live rock.
ttyl
Riley

S

saxman

Can you post a photo?
If you're referring to Lambis lambis, it should be fine as long as there is sufficient food and open sandbed for it in the setup. Reportedly, their fave food are red algaes. Young snails lack the spidery extensions on the shell margin and look similar to olive snails. Adult size is about 4" - 8".

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/384319/spider-conch#post_3367701
Can you post a photo?
If you're referring to Lambis lambis
, it should be fine as long as there is sufficient food and open sandbed for it in the setup. Reportedly, their fave food are red algaes. Young snails lack the spidery extensions on the shell margin and look similar to olive snails. Adult size is about 4" - 8".
OOPS....my post disappeared......
SAX...Are the spider conch hardier then the fighting ones? Apparently they get bigger

S

saxman

I can't say for sure, Lois. IME with conchs is once you get one that does well, and they're typically bulletproof. I've had the best luck with Queen conchs, altho I've had some fighting conchs for years as well. I never had much luck with the "fancy" conchs (toothed, spiders, etc) personally.

fishhunter

its a Lambis lambis a
It seems to be doing really well right now. It is really cool to look at! I'll post some pics later.