Spine Coverings for Urchins!!!!!

rykna

I posted a thread, wondering if there was a urchin that was safe for seahorses. Most said NO, since the sea horse would think "ooh hitching post!" and then get skewered or something.
Then I remebered that I used cat claw covers for my iguana's claws. So why not an urchin?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...22#post2040322
I realize this sounds a bit crazy. But you all know me, I'll try anything once.
1.) Would attaching coverings to the urchin's spines hurt it in any way? Their spines are hollow...if the coverings would impead-hurt-cause death to the urchin in any way I would not apply the coverings.
If applying the coverings does not hinder the urchin in any way~
I would use super glue to aply the coverings and cover the spines in sections....would take a couple days. It'd be kinda cool. You could use multi colored covers and really spice up your urchin!!!!!!! You could use any water proof item, like a plastic bead.
Need input please
:happyfish

rykna

Most likely not........ :thinking:
Besides freaking the urchin out, which would probably be the worst part....how else would it be harmful to the urchin?

rykna

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
lol i read ur other thread on this..are u actually serious?? if it works out u should send me a pic!
I am serious.....but ONLY if it is not harmful to the urchin. I know it sounds crazy.....
THe main problem I think would be stress. :thinking:

rykna

This is what I was thinking....but it would probably be easier just to put him into a hamster ball.

kelly

Just get a pencil urchin, their spines are normally not pointy. Urchin bodys are not completely rigid, so trying to cover the spines without giving them the ability to move would most likely immobilize it.
Search google on slate pencil urchin. Attached is a picture of a Hawaiian red slate pencil urchin from marinelifephotography
Kelly

rykna

Originally Posted by alyssia
Ryk, I think it sounds cruel...

You're absoulety right......
I am not going to; it was an incredably stupid idea any how. Just a passing thought.
A much better plan is I hope to move my pair of clowns to the 45 gallon, that currently is being over crowded by my daughter's mollies, once I devide the mollie population.. Once I put the clowns in the 45...then I will have a place to put the urchin if it doesn't work out for the seahorse tank.

Thanks all

fallnhorse

Originally Posted by Kelly
Just get a pencil urchin, their spines are normally not pointy. Urchin bodys are not completely rigid, so trying to cover the spines without giving them the ability to move would most likely immobilize it.
Search google on slate pencil urchin. Attached is a picture of a Hawaiian red slate pencil urchin from marinelifephotography
Kelly

my thought exactly...i got a pencil urchin in my second reef tank. he does hurt anything but eats coralline. For that reason alone i would never want one in my display tank. I like my tank pink all over.

rykna

Thanks all for the suggestions....I just went a titch over board with ideas today......

I think for now, I'll enjoy the algae....it'll be a while before anything else here in minnesota is green

ophiura

The more common pencil urchin in the trade - Eucidaris tribuloides, as mentioned, does not have sharp spines at all...unfortunately I would also not consider it reef safe.
As an aside, this group is probably one of the only groups you can try such an idea with...their arms are commonly encrusted with all manner of stuff in the wild. This occurs because the spines are actually dead, whereas in other urchins, the spines are covered with living tissue.

30-xtra high

are the spines actually part of the urchin?, as in like.. can they feel what happens to them?, cause i would say just cover the tips in superglue, or even burn them till they aren't sharp.. i mean if they were like hair,, it wouldn't really matter..
i still doubt it would work, i'm just trying to go along with your idea..

ophiura

Originally Posted by d_mcnugent
are long spine urchins reef safe?

For the most part, but keep in mind these get HUGE and have long, barbed, fragile spines. IMO, it is probably not the best choice in most tanks.
All urchins, to some degree, pose a threat to things in their path, in particular soft corals...but some are worse than others. The slate pencil would really not be considered reef safe. I would say that most others are, with the possibility that something may get eaten. However, they will bulldoze, or even (in some species) carry around frags.

ophiura

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
are the spines actually part of the urchin?, as in like.. can they feel what happens to them?, cause i would say just cover the tips in superglue, or even burn them till they aren't sharp.. i mean if they were like hair,, it wouldn't really matter..
i still doubt it would work, i'm just trying to go along with your idea..

They are not really like hair so much. The spines of most urchins are covered with living tissues. You can break them, but it would be a constant battle as they grow/regrow spines, and it is probably not worth it in the end.

fishgeek01

RYKNA... I must say that I am a follower of your posts due to all of the crazy ideas you come up with to do with your set ups... I don't think I would recommend this one, but keep those gears turning, it is nice to see someone post things that are against the norm, or abstract for a change, I do the same thing with my tanks, just a little embarassed i guess to post them...LOL Anyways, love the sea horses, and love your passion for the hobby... take that for whats its worth I guess... but i recommend the pencil urchin for you as well, since you are not putting them in a reef per say... however on a side note, be cautious they don't bulkdoze your gorgonians