sponge lookin thing

mommyfish

hi...i have a rock in my tank with button polyps all over it...and on the corner of the rock there is a soft white ball...i touched it and it feels like a sponge type something...it looks like a moon...its the size of a quarter...but fat...any ideas??

brian'sreef

it's probably just that a sponge one sure way is to look for it's osculum.. a lot of spoges have several but one main ..it will look just like a tube coming out of the sponge like a mouth.. this is where water leaves the sponge after it's filtered..good luck
Brian

mommyfish

i guess its not a sponge...i don't see any tube...hmmm...i have a better discription for it tho...i looks exactly like a cotton ball...

brian'sreef

hmm. not all sponges have a defined osculum.. while most that yu would find within your tank do so it was a try.. i'd still go with a sponge ..can yoiu see through it or is it pretty dense.. .. cotton ball huh....maybe some one else can help more .. it really just sounds like a sponge to me..well good luck in your identification
Brian

maleficent

Originally posted by MommyFish:
<strong>hi...i have a rock in my tank with button polyps all over it...and on the corner of the rock there is a soft white ball...i touched it and it feels like a sponge type something...it looks like a moon...its the size of a quarter...but fat...any ideas??</strong><hr></blockquote>
I would love to hear what it could be? I have one also. Mine is about 6mm and ivory-beige. And it looks like a craft pom-pom.

mommyfish

i did it wrong...don't know what happened...go here <a href="http://dolsywolsy.tripod.com/cuteclown.jpg" target="_blank">http://dolsywolsy.tripod.com/cuteclown.jpg</a>

ren

still no pic. I asked about these along time ago. Kinda like a spider egg sac. They are a type of sponge. I started with 1 and now have about 10 around in the 100gl.

mommyfish

great i always wanted a sponge in my tank...thats the right title...spinder egg sack...hehe not cotton ball...well thanks...i feel better now...i thought it was something harmful in my tank :) thanks for the replys...its late...night everyone