sponge on powerhead

ivy2dw7

Should I keep the sponge on my powerheard intake while I'm mixing the salt into the tank or take it off? And also, do I even need the sponge on the powerhead? It's going to be a reef tank, 37g.
And one other thing: Is it possible to have too much of a current in the tank?

ivy2dw7

Someone PLEASE answer. I don't want to add the salt until I know about the sponge on the intake and I WANT to add the salt!

bigarn

You can take the sponge off if you want..... it won't hurt anything. If you don't have any other attachments that came with the PH to cover the intake, be sure to put the sponge back on before you add livestock. :D

lori faust

Although there is a 100 answers to every 1 saltwater Q...there seems to be a greater number of hobbiest that would say leave it on...
#1: It will keep your inhabitants safe from being sucked up and damaged...
#2: It would also jump start a QT tank or another tank set up in the future
after 1st tank is well established...

lion_crazz

I would probably leave it on. However, it's your call. Doesn't matter either way right now.
Yes, there is such a thing as too much flow. However, you would have to have a TON of flow to have that. How many gph (gallons per hour) does your filter and power head move? It should say these things on the box?

ivy2dw7

The powerhead does 170gph and the filter does 280gph... :notsure: I really hope that isn't too much.. The tank is 24x18x21

lion_crazz

No, that's not even close to too much flow in the tank. You are running your tank with 12 times the turnover rate per hour. That means that those 37 gallons get moved or "turned over" 12 times every hour. Most reef tanks are run at about 20 times the turnover rate.
The formule for figuring out turnover rate is as of follows:
filter gph + powerhead gph = total gph
total gph divided by gallons of your aquarium
Thus, 170 gph + 280 gph = 450 gph
450 gph/37gal = 12.2 toal turnover per hour.

ivy2dw7

Does the protein skimmer also add to the amount of water being turned over? I haven't bought a skimmer yet but I am not putting anything alive in my tank until I do. And is 12.2 bad? I mean, do I need more than that to have a successful reef tank?
Another off the subject thing: I'm still adding the salt to the water, have the powerhead mixing it all up, filter turned off. When can I turn the filter back on?

lion_crazz

Yes, the protein skimmer will add to the amount of flow in your tank if you have a hang-on-the-back.
The flow in your tank, 12.2, is not bad, but it is not the greatest either. As long as you have good water movement and good currents, I would not worry about increasing the flow at this point in time.
You can turn the filter on whenever you are done adding the salt into your tank and mixing it.

ivy2dw7

Cool. But about the skimmer. I don't want to get a BakPak, I already have a filter running on the tank, but the Remora is really expensive. The 2 brands my trustworthy lfs has are teh Seaclone (bad) and the Prizm, which he says he hasn't had anyone come in and complain about. But I've heard from people on here that the Prizm sucks, so what should I do...?

lion_crazz

How about an Excalibur? They work pretty well and I actually know someone with a 37 who is running an Excalibur hob. It was relatively inexpensive, as well.

lion_crazz

That skimmer is made by Advanced Aquaria. Let me know how much they can sell it to you for. I can find you one where you can order it online for $98.99. Drop me an email when your lfs tells you how much they can bring it in for, or if they can at all. Excalbur, the one I am referring to for $99, is rated for aquariums up to 100 gallons and like I said, I know a site where you can get it for that price.

snipe

I leave mine on.
And a prizim and a bakpak is pretty mutch the same thing they bolth filter and skim at the same time IMO either one would be really well suted for you.