Sponge taking over!!

Ok, I seem to have picked up a sponge on some liverock. It looks like the tip of a Q-Tip with a feather duster worm sticking out the top. At first I thought it was neat, now Im not so sure. Damn things are everywhere, litterally. My Eheim canister filter began to slow down so I assumed it was dirty, when I opened it it was full of sponges, they are growing in the intake tubes, the exaust tubes, in the skimmer, EVERYWHERE! They seem to prefer shaded or dark areas. Anyone know what they are, and should I worry?

volitan

I had the same problem with those little white sponges. I was told that it's due to excellent water quality, so if thats the case congrats to you. When mine first started growing, they took off like yours are now, but after the initial growth, they just kind of started dieing off.

hondo

Same thing with my tank as at first they really took off growing everywhere and after a few months they receeded back a bit and now there are only a few in the tank.

cyn

I have them too, not in the ammounts you do, but I have them just the same. Everything I have read about them says that you MUST have excellent water conditions for them to survive. So, smile! It means your doing something right!!
cyn

fshhub

gottem too, and they are called(oddly enough) q tip songes, LOL, and as for the reason, blame your water quality, it is just good, maybe not quite perfect, but it is probably good

alianated

So,,,,,
Since you all had a billion of them at first....
And now they have receeded quite a bit...
Does that mean your water quality has dropped??
Cmon SLACKERS!!! WE NEED MORE QTIPS!!!!
8 P
(Sorry.. just couldnt help it.. with every talking about how its GREAT water conditions that make them spawn like that, and how everyone no longer has a problem with em... it was a perfect setup.. muwahahhahahah)

fshhub

i never got infested, so i could not tell you for sure, but i am glad that i have teh ones that i do, but then again, i don't have an overflow either, but that is kinda funny, the way you put it

cyn

Well, my H2O has not changed. I have some, mabey 8 or 10 and they are growing, not going wild... Hmmm.. does that mean that my H2O is just marginally great???? LMAO!!! :p :D :D :D :D