Sponge

plum70rt

Got to love those sponges, they make a tank look cool, very nice:) Im trying to get every color myself, have red ,yellow,orange,pink, so far

plum70rt

Sponges are filter feeders that need no special light, I have tree sponges that look like yours, then there are the type that look sort of like a catus, short and stumpy,I will post some pics of mine, when the lights come on,;)

j21kickster

we just got some ones like you have, in at work, and they are about 3 feet long- DTs is good- the food needs to be pretty small- lots of light sometimes causes unwanted algae growth on them

javatech

I was just at your shop the Sponges looked nice. just got a sun coral there today. do you ever get the black one's in

j21kickster

havent yet- im going to try and get some though- btw have i seen you there?- im working this weekend? Ya- we just got the sponges about 2 days ago- There was a really nice sun coral in-the 200gal next to the tank with the sponges, about in the center of the tank- is that the one you got? How do ya like the big 300 display in front?:D

javatech

That's the one. as soon as i put it in the tank it started to open it looks great. i was going to get the bright green mushroom rock in there but i saw the sun and got it. i must of missed the 300 it looks like you are moving stuff around i'll have to try to make it in there one weekend

j21kickster

it is the huge tank you see right as you walk in, how can you miss that beauty?? Also that sun coral is the best looking one there- did you see the metallic leaf mushrooms- i have never seen that shiny green before in any mushrooms- but it is 50$:( i really want one- If you stop by- say hi- you know who i am right- a pic is in the 1st page of the pictures post

javatech

Originally posted by j21kickster
did you see the metallic leaf mushrooms- i have never seen that shiny green before in any mushrooms- but it is 50$:( i really want one- If you stop by- say hi- you know who i am right- a pic is in the 1st page of the pictures post

That's the one i wanted to get with the sun but a bit high for now i'll try to find your photo

keisersosei

Kickster --
I have it in somewhat of a shaded area (under a rock overhang). If I don't feed DT's, will it be okay? I've never heard of feeding a sponge. I don't have anything else in the tank that would benefit from phytoplankton right now so I hate to feed just the sponge, especially if it doesn't have to have it.

j21kickster

well- if it dosent get any food it will eventually die- Different microfauna (pods) will benefit from phytoplankton feeding too. If noone has told you of feeding sponges, well they werent doing their job. You shouldnt hate to feed anything- but- i would start:)

keisersosei

Nope, no corals at all. It is strictly an invertebrate tank for right now. I guess the sea apple would come closest to enjoying DT's. Here's my list of inhabitants:
sponge, coral banded shrimp, sea apple, orange linckia star, cucumber, fighting conch, and various hermits
Every 3 days I dose 2 teaspoons of Coralife Invertebrate Smorgasbord. Would the sponge benefit from that at all?