spot feed a knobby star?

gold strip

You shouldnt have to if the tank is well established. This site says they eat meaty food and are not reef safe but I have had one in my tank for over a year now and he acts just like a Linkia. Feeds off of algae, not meaty foods. I have not attempted any spot feeding and he has done just fine. Moves all over the tank and settles in areas where there is excess algae. Looks identical to the picture they have on this site.
Now some sites will confuse a "Knobby Star" with a "Red General" which is a meat eater. Dont have one of those so dont know how to care for them.

murph145

i spotted feed a chocolate star using a metal Kabob

[hr]
and putting some squid on the end then gently lifting the star fish and placing it under him.... it was a pain most of the time it would take 2-3 tries till he actually grabbed it but it worked and he did good for a year until i decided i wanted polyps and he started eating those so i had to trade him back in at my LFS
good luck feeding it

ophiura

As mentioned, if it is Echinaster echinophorus, then it requires a mature reef with lots of LR and will probably not respond to spot feeding. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't try it by putting something meaty, or an algae wafer or something in its path using a bamboo skewer or something.
If it is Protoreaster nodosus
(red general, African Red) then it is a meat eater and you should be able to feed it a variety of meaty foods.
Gold Strip - which tank do you have it in? I'm trying to keep tabs on overall success with these guys.

gold strip

Had it in my 90 with 170 lbs of rock and then it moved to the 75 for about 2 months while the 180 was cycling. Has been in the 180 for about 75 days now. The 90 was up for over a year and I moved all that rock into the 180 and added another 100 lbs of good cured rock so pretty well established.