Spotted Mandarin Goby (Dragonett) Poll

scotty37

My wife have been arguing about this fish. I think it is awesome, she thinks it is ugly. What do you all think, awesome or ugly?

anthropo

make sure though that you have an established tank with established rock that is at least 6 months or older in your tank. also you will have to have a descent amount of rock in the realm of 50 pounds or more to have a well established copepod population for these guys to eat. if not then don't bother cause if you don't have al 3 of these factors they will starve and die. they will devastate your copepod population pretty well if the tank isn't established and then waste away. they more than likely won't take frozen foods. i've only known 1 to take frozen and i've been in this hobby for 5 years.

nygel

that wasnt at all what this thread is about anthropo.... but yeah, they're cool... i dont consider them as pretty as a green mandarin but still cool looking. I've had 2/2 dragonets take to mysis, just for the records.

sepulatian

They are beautifull, but they need at least 100+lbs of very mature LR. A fuge is a very big plus as well. These fish rarely accept prepared foods, even if they do, they will not sustain the mandarine for long.

ghola5

they are so cute and I love them! my friend said mine was ugly and I almost had to beat her up lol j.k

lazypinoy

they are pretty damn funny lookin, but not ugly! i mean if a fish can make me laugh by how it looks or acts den dang its a fish worth having. its up to u and what u like.
the last person that bagged on my spotted mandarin...well, i dont kno what happned to him after i what i did.

anthropo

Originally Posted by nYgel
that wasnt at all what this thread is about anthropo.... but yeah, they're cool... i dont consider them as pretty as a green mandarin but still cool looking. I've had 2/2 dragonets take to mysis, just for the records.
it may not have been about that but when someone is considering buying one of these guys based on looks, they better know the other half of how to take care of them as well.

nygel

Yeah, in my 29g I have several cheapo intank fuges that were keeping the scooter dragonet and green mandarin alive... I hadnt really watched when I fed for a while cuz i would come home, turn lights on and feed and leave to go do something else, but I actually sat and watched and the scooter took off across the tank and basically tackled some mysis down. A week later the mandarin would do the same thign (kinda....he would wait for it to stop moving and then he would gobble it up) So my advice is get a turkey baster and load it with mysis and find a good spot with no flow and shoot a bunch in that direction. Their are tons of things you could look for though in trying to get them to eat mysis. On another forum I have a thread about everyone who has had success... and im not the only one.