Spotted Mandarin Goby - Poisonous?

K

koston

I have a spotted mandarin goby. Very beautiful. When I bought it, my LFS said that when these fish die, they secrete a poison that can kill off the tank (a nano reef) in hours. Is this true or false?

deejeff442

first the lfs aholes should not sell one of these for a nano reef.there is no way this tank can produce enough pods for it to live.
any fish in a nano can cause an ammonia spike that can kill the whole tank if it dies.
mandarins have a poison slime coat to deter predators .if it dies there is not a huge release of it.
your lfs blows ,time to find a new one.
by the way welcome to the site.as you can tell i hate a store that dont know what they are talking about.
plus i would return the fish untill you have a well established tank with a sump full of lr rubble for pods to reproduce.it will 100% die from starvation and malnutrition in the next 3-5 months.
what did the lfs tell you they eat?

S

shrimpy brains

Wow! Welcome to the site! and +1 to what he said!

gemmy

Mine ate frozen mysis, squid, marine cuisine and pretty much any frozen food I fed.

S

shrimpy brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/385028/spotted-mandarin-goby-poisonous#post_3375119
Mine ate frozen mysis, squid, marine cuisine and pretty much any frozen food I fed.
ORA Mandarin? Just curious as the ones that are sold as eating frozen, haven't been around that long, and you are talking in the past tense about your mandarin.
I had a mandarin that ate mysis and brine, but it is not common. Sometimes, you get lucky, or some people have manged to train their Mandarins to eat prepared.
However, it is more common that if you don't have a sufficient and sustaining pod population, that the mandarin will starve.

btldreef

The ORA mandarins all eat frozen, BUT mandarins still need copepods in their diet. The fact that they eat frozen is just an added bonus. If you have a certified ORA mandarin that was supposedly one of the ones that they bred to eat frozen and it's not, apparently they'll trade it out for another one if you can prove it.
It's becoming more and more commonplace to find mandarins that are accepting frozen, especially if they're captive bred. ORA are not the only ones that have been successful with this, and they're not the first, they're just getting most of the credit. There is a breeder in the tri-state area that has mandarins that accept frozen as babies, and there is now two people on Long Island that have babies accepting frozen.
Again, even if your mandarin eats frozen, their natural diet is copepods, and they still need to be available for the fish.
A nano, is really no place for a mandarin. You should probably return this fish and shop at a different store, OR come on here and ask questions, because your LFS is feeding you a bunch of BS. I've had three mandarins die on me through the years, one was eaten my a condy anemone, one was killed by his "mate" (I attempted to pair a male and female, and they didn't like each other) and one was killed by a yellow watchmen goby. None of the three ever poisoned my tank, this is nonsense. Do they have a protective slime coat that helps fight off predators? Yes. Will it kill everyone in your tank? No, your LFS giving you bad advice will do that.

K

koston

I don't know man. I'm not sure how long it's been, more than a few weeks now, and he seems to be thriving. He's constantly eating little things off rocks and I supply the tank with copepods. I see him eat them every time I put them in. He's quite a pig, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/385028/spotted-mandarin-goby-poisonous#post_3375103
first the lfs aholes should not sell one of these for a nano reef.there is no way this tank can produce enough pods for it to live.
any fish in a nano can cause an ammonia spike that can kill the whole tank if it dies.
mandarins have a poison slime coat to deter predators .if it dies there is not a huge release of it.
your lfs blows ,time to find a new one.
by the way welcome to the site.as you can tell i hate a store that dont know what they are talking about.
plus i would return the fish untill you have a well established tank with a sump full of lr rubble for pods to reproduce.it will 100% die from starvation and malnutrition in the next 3-5 months.
what did the lfs tell you they eat?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koston http:///forum/thread/385028/spotted-mandarin-goby-poisonous#post_3375186
I don't know man. I'm not sure how long it's been, more than a few weeks now, and he seems to be thriving. He's constantly eating little things off rocks and I supply the tank with copepods. I see him eat them every time I put them in. He's quite a pig, actually.
Mandarins have voracious appetites and will seem fine for a few months. Many mandarins perish in the home aquarium around the 6 month mark.

deejeff442

the problem is they are a beautifull fish and cheap.just like the morish idol.i have been at this for a long long time and i still would not buy a morish.

S

saxman

To answer the original question, mandies do indeed have a poisonous slime coat. When we moved the mandy we had for like 8 years, it was a very short move, so I popped it and 3 green chromis into the same bag. One chromis died, and the other two (and the mandy) went into respiratory distress, and I actually had to give them "fish resuscitation".
When the mandy finally died (of old age) the tank was fine.

K

koston

Thanks for responses.
Maybe I should debate giving him back to the store. It just sucks because it seems he is eating every second, always finding stuff off the rocks and sand and popping them into his mouth, and he loves the copepods I put in for him at night.

btldreef

To answer the original question, mandies do indeed have a poisonous slime coat. When we moved the mandy we had for like 8 years, it was a very short move, so I popped it and 3 green chromis into the same bag. One chromis died, and the other two (and the mandy) went into respiratory distress, and I actually had to give them "fish resuscitation".

When the mandy finally died (of old age) the tank was fine.
Do you think the slime coat was the cause? Why not a stressed fish dying in a bag and therefore polluting the water? Just curious as to your thoughts. I've had fish in the same 1G container with a mandarin on the way home from an LFS and never had an issue. Maybe it just wasn't long enough (2-3 hours, at most).

deejeff442

3 cromis and a mandarin in a bag .if you didnt add amquil or some ammonia neutralizer thats probably what killed them.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/385028/spotted-mandarin-goby-poisonous#post_3376983
3 cromis and a mandarin in a bag .if you didnt add amquil or some ammonia neutralizer thats probably what killed them.
It was a 10 minute move. No chance of messing up water in that amount of time.
The slime is like snot and engulfed the mandarin like a cocoon. This is what they do.
I think Greg made a typo... it was 2 chromis.... large ones, but only 2 were moved.