Spotted puffer keeps chasing my valentine puffer

stern

image.jpg
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank, I currently have 4 clowns, 2 Damsels, 1 Chromis, 1 dwarf spotted puffer and 1 Dwarf Valentine puffer. Both puffers are supposed to be peaceful! My spotted puffer keep chasing my Valentine, there is enough space but not sure why he's doing to the point I can't find the Valentine most of the day. I feed them twice a day so I'm confused.

mauler

Toby puffers are far from peaceful they have rep for tasting there tank mates plus I believe Toby puffers don't tolerate each other very well so you'll probably have to choose which one you want to keep.

stern

Thanks Mauler, thats crazy cause on ***********.com says the temperament is peaceful!!! maybe if I quarantine the Toby and let the Valentine become territorial in the DT for about a month, then put the Toby back, the Valentine might have some courage to chase the Toby back????

mauler

Thanks Mauler, thats crazy cause on ***********.com says the temperament is peaceful!!! maybe if I quarantine the Toby and let the Valentine become territorial in the DT for about a month, then put the Toby back, the Valentine might have some courage to chase the Toby back????
That could work I did that with an Achilles tang a while back after his timeout he was the most behaved fish in tank.

stern

I have those two big coral Inserts, what if I just move it on an angle, would that help, they are pretty big, not much maneuvering you can do, what if I just move the rock around in the front of the tank?

thanks guys

stern

Ok I moved the rocks around as much as I could, the reef inserts are two big pieces (not much I could do with that), still my Valentine is hiding and not eating, So I decided to put the spotted puffer in the quarantine tank by himself on time out. Maybe this would take most of the stress off of the valentine and maybe he can develop some territory dominance in the DT. Its been about three days and the valentine is still hiding and not eating. I had both of them on mysis shrimp which they were eating just fine when I first got him. I put a clam next to him all day yesterday on top of the reef insert where he was just hanging on a branch, until Crusty the Crab climbed up and ate it! not sure if it might take a couple more days, hope he doesn't starve to death. I'm think about trying some dried Krill, but the crabs might eat it first. what do you guys think?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet is going to be remove one of the puffers, likely the aggressive one would be best.

Very nicely done with the artificial reef, BTW.

stern

Your best bet is going to be remove one of the puffers, likely the aggressive one would be best.

Very nicely done with the artificial reef, BTW.
Thanks for noticing my colorful tank, Yes the aggressive one in on timeout in the quarantine tank, we'll see how it works out in a few days.

stern

I was reading about your dwaft lionfish as well, I had one but wouldn't eat either, ended up dying as well, I want another one though.

Kristin1234

Would he eat a skunk cleaner? I don't care about the others lol. I never see them anyway.

I want one. What all do you feed yours? Does he eat easily?

Kristin1234

Well I got mine to eat ghost shrimp and even caught him eating the mysis and had him for over a month. I think it was another fish nipping at him that eventually killed him.

I want another too, but I'm not getting one.