Spray bar Help/Question

kaholic

Ok, I've read a lot about this and just want to make sure my little mind is grasping the correct concept here. I want to use my return pump that is in my sump to run this particular spray bar design that runs down the center of the tank, and T's off along the bottom on both sides. It will be clear PVC and mostly covered by LR. First, is this practical? 55 Gallon tank...48" across. What kind of gph pump should I be running for this setup? And is this the right place to put an anti-siphon hole? About an inch underneath the water line? Also, is this going to affect my overflow box in any adverse way? Anyone see any major problems with this? Or is this just a stupid idea? :notsure:

kaholic

I planned to use a 900gph rated pump and the overflow box is 600gph. I figured with the spray bar and it going up about 4 feet, it should work out ok. Anyone?

1911_guy

I'm not the mathematical expert like Squidd on return pressure/head/size/etc. BUT, yes your anti-siphon hole is in the right place. I have a similar spray bar but mine is at top of tank. They say not to have your return too near the overflow so you should be fine.
The pump might be strong enough. You'll lose alot of pressure through head (distance from pump itself to highest point (maybe even where it releases the water).
Make sure you install a ball valve to control the rate of flow in case the pump is still stronger than your overflow. In other words, you don't want to fill your main tank faster than it drains into your sump. :scared: