Spray Paint Eggcrate cover with Fish line weaved in?

jar_lou

Would it be safe to spray paint the white egg crate cover I have (also with fishing line tightly wove in to make the holes smaller)? I would of course let it dry for 24 hours at least. But I didnt know if I needed to worry about the saltwater reacting with the paint over time?

t316

My recommendation is NO. Eventually, that paint is going to flake off, and the only place for it to go is....in the tank. Just my opinion though....

gio28

im not sure about the spray paint, but im guessing that the eggcrate is for a lid. it diffuses light so unless you have fish only i wouldnt use eggcrate because your corals will be deprived of some light. try pond netting or bird netting...its definitely safe and it will not diffuse light.

jar_lou

ok, thanks for your input. And I have 500W of Metal Halide on the tank, along with 160w of Actinics. From what I have read, eggcrate actually lets more light through than glass lids. I am guessing because of the film that glass lids get after a little while of being used.
here is the link I was reading
Egg Crate vs. Glass Lid

flower

Originally Posted by jar_lou
http:///forum/post/3119429
ok, I thanks for you input. And I have 500W of Metal Halide on the tank, along with 160w of Actinics. From what I have read, eggcrate actually lets more light through than glass lids. I am guessing because of the film that glass lids get after a little while of being used.
here is the link I as reading
Egg Crate vs. Glass Lid

TRUE egg crate is indeed better to use than a glass lid.
However, you need a piece of glass between the MH bulb and the water. Retrofit makes us have to put a piece of glass between the water and bulbs. However, full ready to use lights already have a piece of glass in place on the hood under the bulbs.
Even a tiny drop of water will burst a MH bulb. So it must stay absolutly dry. I burst a 2 day old bulb when I topped off once..it cost me $70.00 to replace the bulb. I learned my lesson.
A full glass lid with MH lighting, would create a greenhouse effect and really super heat the tank.

gio28

eggcrate probably does beat a glass lid in several ways; like gas exchange and light. netting would be better since it allows better gas exchange and lets 100% of the light through. if you go with either eggcrate it does beat a glass lid, but netting would be best.