Spray Paint!!!!

zanski

Can i use black spray paint on my new aquarium back glass?? It's brand new and empty. But i will be starting my cycle after it dry's will it be ok. I will probably paint the outside?!

What do yall think??

fanker

no its fine, just put on more than 1 coat because the light can go through the paint and it looks kinda funny

sully

Yes you have to paint the outside. I have done 4 tanks with blue and never had any problems with it coming off. I use 600 grit wet /dry emery and wet it and then just lightly scuff the outside glass, not sure how many coats to tell you but alot to make sure it covers well. I wouldn't touch it for about 3-4 day because it seems it takes that long to really stick and harden. I bought my spray paint a Lowe's and I think it was just enamel. Don't forget to cover the top because of overspray. Good luck and don't rush it.

zanski

thanks sully! cant wait to get it up and running but ill take my time on the paint. I'll post some pics when i start my cycle...

emperor11

On BRAND new tanks, I don't recommend painting the back. Either leave it (it will eventually get a thick film of algae, and you wouldn't know the difference), or put a paper background on the back. Painting the tank voids the warranty. :happyfish