Spraying the house for bugs....

zdthompson

is a proff doing it? if so you should be fine. if you are going it it says on the bug bombs to cover the tank with blanket of garbage bags.

S

smartorl

Living in Florida, probably like you in GA, bugs are a fact of life. I have parrots and get the little moths from the seeds as well. I got a Tokay gecko that has free range of the house. He is a bug eating machine! I have cancelled the exterminator and have not seen one bug in well over a year. I have a doggie door and the gecko goes out and comes back when he wants. While it is not for everyone, it works for us. It still can be a little shocking to see his tail disappear under something when you turn on the lights and startle him but other than they he is rarely seen.
I looked for alternatives because my son is highly sensitive to pesticides in any form and would become very ill after treatments, I also worried about the aquariums and the birds. I have dogs and they don't mess with the gecko either.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by smartorl
Living in Florida, probably like you in GA, bugs are a fact of life. I have parrots and get the little moths from the seeds as well. I got a Tokay gecko that has free range of the house. He is a bug eating machine! I have cancelled the exterminator and have not seen one bug in well over a year. I have a doggie door and the gecko goes out and comes back when he wants. While it is not for everyone, it works for us. It still can be a little shocking to see his tail disappear under something when you turn on the lights and startle him but other than they he is rarely seen.
I looked for alternatives because my son is highly sensitive to pesticides in any form and would become very ill after treatments, I also worried about the aquariums and the birds. I have dogs and they don't mess with the gecko either.
This may be the funniest post I have ever read. I cannot believe the gecko goes in and out, and comes back. Incredible. Sounds like a great idea, but I don't know if I can talk the girl into having a lizard in the house.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by zdthompson
is a proff doing it? if so you should be fine. if you are going it it says on the bug bombs to cover the tank with blanket of garbage bags.

I am doing it myself, but its not a bomb. It is a commercial spray.

S

smartorl

If I can get used to having him in the house, anyone can, I am absolutely phobic about reptiles. You really don't know he is around most of the time, every once in a while, you catch a quick glimpse. People look at me like I am nuts but it really works.

dmitry

Cover the tank/sump until everything settles and also turn off your skimmer. Skimmers suck in air from outside and you don't want it sucking in the pesticide.

zdthompson

yeah cover every thing i guess be extra carefull and duck tape around the bottome of the blanket or garbage bags. and turn off any thing that sucks air in