Sprung a leak :(

meowzer

WELL.....My 225G has a leak.....Bad thing is it's on the bottom....
I have emptied about 40 gallons out......turned off skimmer and sump......Making new SW....and preparing totes
Danny is off tomorrow so he is going to Home Depot to pick up some stuff......we are going to try an underwater repair first.....IF that does not work, Jeff from TX has a tank he will being me this weekend and help me do the transfer
ALL I NEED right now are prayers this thing holds until we can get it fixed :(
I HAVE to go to work tomorrow :(

Sprung a leak? Wow, I was under the assumption that if a Tank doesn't leak now, it'll never leak. Leaks....can develop? Yikes. How common is that?

E

eric b 125

How are things goin, Meowzer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymybigfish http:///t/395675/sprung-a-leak#post_3523216
Sprung a leak? Wow, I was under the assumption that if a Tank doesn't leak now, it'll never leak. Leaks....can develop? Yikes. How common is that?
Not terribly common, but things happen. Threads like this are a sobering reminder that we ought to be checking for leaks during routine maintenance.

flower

Boy...Those tank gremlins just don't let up on you do they? What a huge bother, but at least you can get another tank fairly soon if you need it. Fingers crossed the transfer goes smooth.

meowzer

Well I am glad to say that it is still just a drip......BUT I am still making more water...Danny is on his way to Home Depot now to get the underwater stuff....and more totes JIC
Let's just say I did not sleep very well last night :(
Keep fingers crossed and prayers said that we can fix it with the underwater method.....IF NOT.....seems like we will be doing a tank exchange this weekend
Danny has to work nights....BUT Jeff will bring a buddy (or 2).....and he has done this MANY times before.....

meowzer

LOL...I can not believe I said .....I was glad to say it's still a drip

BUT you guys know what I meant.....

sweatervest13

Holy cow. Flipping over a huge tank like that is a major task. I am glad to hear that Jeff had that old tank ready for you and he can help. Such nice people on here.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/395675/sprung-a-leak#post_3523263
I am sooooooooooooooo hoping the underwater repair works
fingers crossed for you meowzer!!!
But, even if it does work... Are you going to be able to sleep at night knowing that there is a "patch" on your 225g?? Or are you just looking at it as, giving you more time before you have to do a whole tank flip?? Does your homeowners insurance cover anything if the tank completely drains in your house?? It might be worth checking out. I don't mean to scare you. I am just thinking out loud here.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/395675/sprung-a-leak#post_3523266
fingers crossed for you meowzer!!!
But, even if it does work... Are you going to be able to sleep at night knowing that there is a "patch" on your 225g?? Or are you just looking at it as, giving you more time before you have to do a whole tank flip?? Does your homeowners insurance cover anything if the tank completely drains in your house?? It might be worth checking out. I don't mean to scare you. I am just thinking out loud here.
IDK how I will feel if it holds..........BUT IF it does...YES it will buy us more time to prepare for a change.....maybe when my husband is off...LOL
and YES....my homeowners would cover it...hope it won't come to that either...I just got a new couch in my fish room EEEEEEEEEEEK

Man, I'm Trying to conceive the idea on how to save a leaking tank....or transferring it... Totes of saltwater and rock? Bags of fish and inverts....scoop ur sand into a new tank, fillit with water, aquascaping it, then add everything the next day? Is it that simple?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymybigfish http:///t/395675/sprung-a-leak#post_3523272
Man, I'm Trying to conceive the idea on how to save a leaking tank....or transferring it... Totes of saltwater and rock? Bags of fish and inverts....scoop ur sand into a new tank, fillit with water, aquascaping it, then add everything the next day? Is it that simple?
It is basically that simple in theory. But the execution is the tough part. And you don't wait a day, just add everything back once the tank is set back up. The beneficial bacteria on the LR should keep the tank from going into a big new cycle. It may mini cycle (keep lots of Amquel + or Prime on hand).

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymybigfish http:///t/395675/sprung-a-leak#post_3523272
If we have to transfer tanks....we will use new sand
the rocks will all go into a tote (or 3) with SW of course and a powerhead
the fish will go in another tote (or 2) we will use some of the old sw...and I will have a LOT of new made up and ready
NOTHING about this will be simple......I am hoping to be able to do that (if needed) within 2 days
I have a lot of corals that I am afraid to disturb....which is why I AM HOPING we can save the tank (at least for now) until I can have some time for a broader plan

meowzer

Prayers please....the operation is to begin shortly.....Danny is in the shower making sure his arms are clean
I am very nervous

meowzer

WELL......it does not seem to have fixed it :( BUT it has lessened the drips in some spots
I have someone looking into a new tank for me.....thinking of going a bit smaller.....that is on the height,....maybe 6' long by 24 wide....and 24" deep.....I can not handle the 30"
We have totes.....and I am continuously making more water....SOOOO if the situation changes I have a plan......BUT.....getting a new tank is gonna happen.....just a matter of how soon

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/395675/sprung-a-leak#post_3523292
WELL......it does not seem to have fixed it :( BUT it has lessened the drips in some spots
I have someone looking into a new tank for me.....thinking of going a bit smaller.....that is on the height,....maybe 6' long by 24 wide....and 24" deep.....I can not handle the 30"
We have totes.....and I am continuously making more water....SOOOO if the situation changes I have a plan......BUT.....getting a new tank is gonna happen.....just a matter of how soon
Bummer that the underwater fix did not work. But the prospect of getting a new tank is pretty rad.
I agree that the 30" depth is too deep. I could not imagine the maintenance on a tank that deep. Shoot. I have to have a little step stool for my 22" deep tank.
Have you ever considered a 30" wide tank??? I did a quick search online and found a few foot prints that use a 30" width:
205g X-Wide 72" X 30" X 22"
245g Show 72" X 30" X 26"
Or a nice 5' Tank:
175g X-Wide 60"X 30" X 22"
200g X-Wide 60"X 30" X 26"
I love the idea of a 30" wide tank... So much room for aquascaping. I am drooling just thinking about it.
I take it that building a new stand is not a problem with your hubby being so darn handy. But I also know that using the existing stand and keeping the same basic footprint could save you a bit of time and money. I just get so excited thinking about the DD tanks.