SPS Food

mrdc

What SPS food have you seen the best results with? I don't spot feed as often as I should but right now I am using brightwell zoo something and I have also used reef frenzy. Been thinking about spot feeding more and was curious to see what you are using.

slice

If I had the time and patience, I would try to grow my own rotifers. I've put live rotifers in the tank a couple of times and the response from every coral, from SPS to zoas is dramatic.
I've tried some of the liquid foods as you list, but wasn't impressed. I also have a "feeling" that it fouls the water as much as feed the coral.
I've been using Rod's Coral Blend maybe 2X/week, but my latest SPS seems to have a severe distaste for the stuff (still checking that out).
If true, I will be looking for alternate coral food(s).
I don't spot feed anything anymore, not LPS, not anything. I found myself putting more food in the tank by spot feeding than I do when broadcast feeding.

btldreef

I turn off return pumps and add a few drops of Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast. I leave the tank just running on power heads for about 15 minutes. The Oyster Feast entices polyp extension on all corals. Then I add Cyclopeez shrimp or Rod's Coral Food or frozen Rotifers. I let that float around for another 15-30 minutes, then kick the pump back on. SPS gets fed usually 1x a week, sometimes 2x. They're also fed by regular water changes and my Ca reactor.
The best food for corals: fish poo

mrdc

Thanks. Polluting the tank is the main reason I don't spot feed very often. I'm also not sure if anyone around here carries live rotifers but I will check.
I can understand how you can over feed by spot feeding because you find yourself squirting each coral which in total can be more than if you just did the broadcast method. I typically spot feed 3 corals and broadcast the rest.

snakeblitz33

I've used a food processer in the past to mince up and liquify some meaty types of seafoods and algaes. The trick is to not let any more than 25% of your meats be fatty, like oysters, salmon etc. My base food has always been raw shrimp. It doesn't take much to feed a small tank at all... and if you make your own food, it can last a long time if frozen in individual bags or proper sized cubes. I'm just not really big into the commercial grade bagged foods.
Live foods, like live enriched rotifers and phytoplankton are the best things to use. I hope to one day have my culture station up and going.

I dont feed my SPS anything and they grow like madness.
I used to feed zoo and phyto planktons but I quite doing that based on pollution. Everything looks great though

mrdc

Well 5 fish in a 90 aint producing much poop lol. Once I get the new setup going under the tank, I think I will be ready to add more fish though.