SPS growth under PC's with success

fcatch76

Growth of the Green Stylo under 144w PC's, dates shown are the time the green stylo was acclimated in my tank until the 13th on January. item was purchased from SWF.com. I feed marine snow, selcon and my own home made food. Lighting schedule is roughly 10-11 hours.
Sept. 11, 2008 to January 13, 2009:

fcatch76

The purple stylo was just added on the 13th. I will post more comparative pictures of the green in the near future.

snakeblitz33

I can usually get sps corals to grow 1/2" to 1" per month on average. But, with PC lights, I guess it's doing alright.
You need more light though!!

fcatch76

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2912635
I can usually get sps corals to grow 1/2" to 1" per month on average. But, with PC lights, I guess it's doing alright.
You need more light though!!
with growth like that you must have a huge tank.

snakeblitz33

It wasn't ready for fragging when I was maintaining his tank. We started from small colonies of sps corals and nothing had grown enough to intersect. He fired me after he couldn't afford my services anymore. He lost some of his clients because of the bad economy.
I have had a tank that I have had to frag regularly. I give frags away to the local reef club every now and then and/or send them to lucky people I make friends with on the internet.

fcatch76

http:///forum/post/2912732
It wasn't ready for fragging when I was maintaining his tank. We started from small colonies of sps corals and nothing had grown enough to intersect. He fired me after he couldn't afford my services anymore. He lost some of his clients because of the bad economy.
I have had a tank that I have had to frag regularly. I give frags away to the local reef club every now and then and/or send them to lucky people I make friends with on the internet.
we all have felt the economy strain, thats for sure. Nice of you to give frags away also.
Not sure if anyone else has been viewing the thread but I will get better pics up to show and keep things updated. Not here to start the PC, T5 and halide war, just sharing my results. I am seeing growth and the polyps are remaining green, so i don't have brownipora. Guess it would be considered surviving not striving according to the average growth stated by Snake.
Will keep thread updated

gatorwpb

Not to throw fuel into the fire, but SPS under PCs is certinaly not recommended for best results.
Water quality, food source, flow and lighting all play equal roles in growth and success of sps. Therefore, if one of the four are lacking, the sps will still survive but the ideal conditions that most work to achieve and see best results with is when all four conditions are obtained.
I do admit that I am surprised to see that it has not lost its color and is showing some growth so good work with that.
Also, 144w of PC is alot for a small tank. Many people that ask about PCs for sps are talkng about larger tanks.
But for 4 months, generally you would see significant more growth under MH or appropriate T5s for Stylo/Pocci.

fcatch76

Growth under PC's
Biocube 29 with CPR Small refuguim w/ Protein Skimmer
nanotuners 4.36 upgrade- 2 Actinincs, 1 10K and 1 50/50 running 10 hours a day
45lbs LR
20-25 lbs. LS
Cal- 460-480
pH- 8.1- 8.3
dkH- 8
temp 79.2-80.5
trites- 0
ammon- 0
trates- 5-10
phos- 0
Salinity- 1.024-1.025
Fish:
2 True Percs
1 Royal Gramma
1 LMB
1 Green Mandarin (before you say anything, thats what the fuge is for)
Inverts:
2 Maxima Clams w/growth
1 Derasa w/growth
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
10 Nass.
5 Ceriths
3 Astrea
Couple of Stomatella
Chaeto
Sea lettuce
Shaving brushes
Corals:
Toadstool
Mushrooms
Rics
Duncans
Blastos
Frogspawn
Stylo
Zoas
Candy/ Trumpet
Birdsnest
Started w/ weekly water changes of 10% for the first 9 months, switched to bi-weekly 10% after. Do not use RO water, but treated tap (API), tap is a good quality showing nothing detrimental. Make my own food plus, mysis, brine, krill, selcon, seaweed, copepods and marine snow. Turnover rate is 24x with my maxijet 1100 pump and Koralia 1. Feed every other day.

wattsupdoc

The stylo is doing well it appears. If it were just surviving it wouldn't be doing any growing.... It is very close I take it to the surface. You have a large amount of light for PC light. Lighting is only part of the equation. It might color up more under better lighting, who knows. Keep your parameters stable, your flow sufficient, your feeding quality products, and try adding a vitamin/amino acid supplement. Keep an eye on those clams, they are less capable of adapting than the SPS. However they are crocea's and are less light needy than other clams.

jackri

http:///forum/post/2912732
Hey buddy

nycbob

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2961104
The stylo is doing well it appears. If it were just surviving it wouldn't be doing any growing.... It is very close I take it to the surface. You have a large amount of light for PC light. Lighting is only part of the equation. It might color up more under better lighting, who knows. Keep your parameters stable, your flow sufficient, your feeding quality products, and try adding a vitamin/amino acid supplement. Keep an eye on those clams, they are less capable of adapting than the SPS. However they are crocea's and are less light needy than other clams.
did u say crocea need less light than other clams? crocea is the most light demanding and sensitive compared to maxima and derasa.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2961140
did u say crocea need less light than other clams? crocea is the most light demanding and sensitive compared to maxima and derasa.

OOOOPS, my bad!
you are correct. How long have those clams been under those lights? Oyster eggs will do a young clam for some time, but eventually feeding will not be any help. They will become light dependant eventually.
If you have enough NO fluorescents over your tank and you set them up properly, you can keep whatever you want. Who wants 24 NO fluorescents all lined up over their tank though? Same with incandescent lamps. As long as you put enough of 'em up there. But your going to end up with less efficient lighting. It will require more power to get you there. You will have higher lamp replacement costs.

i have the biocube 29 with the 4.36 lighting upgrade i didnt want to make the purchase worried it would not satisfy me but after the upgrade 1 36watt pc actinic, 1 daylight 36watt 10,000k, 2 50/50 36watt bulbs in there and im pleased i was not able to keep zo's on the sand with a rock they would simply stay the same size been 3 weeks now with the upgrade and zo's on the sand r spreading an flourishing, also im able to hold clams now around mid and high range in the tank i have a clam in my tank now had a buddy who had the same tank put a clam in his stock lighting and lost it within 2 weeks terrible mistake mines been in there for 3weeks. jesus fcatch we have the same perams.