SPS lighting requirements

farslayer

I was wanting to start trying to keep SPS corals, but I wasn't sure what the lighting requirements were. I have a 46G bowfront with a 110W PC and a 7100K actinic (magtinic, the one with the reflective strip). Is this good enough or do I need to go with MH?
Thanks!

crazy4reefs

you should be fine with softies maybe some lps but if you are thinking about sps corals you will defiantly will want to upgrade to MH.. i had a 46 gallon bow with a 110 pc and 2 x 96 watts pc and was able to keep quite a bit of diffrent corals.

pitbull01

howdy, just wondering---i have a 55 gallon reef set up with 160 watts of light over top plus tons of natural sun light. Is this enough to keep sps? even if i put them at the very top of my rockwork? let me know.

nicky1.8t

not really. In my experience if you are wanting to keep sps, you should have metal halides. lighting is one of the most crucial part of keeping sps. You might be able to keep some types of montipora., like monti caps, but you might not get the great coloration that you see in some of the sps tanks. Goodluck