SPS lighting

big dave

Hey guys! Just a quick ?. My 29 gallon has 2x75 watt VHO bulbs on it. Is this sufficient for SPS corals(acroporas etc...) At my LFS we have a 27 gallon tank wiht 2x55 watt PCs and SPS do fine in it. I belive VHOs aren't as intense as PCs so would this be enought lighting? Would adding a single 55w PC be sufficient? I know the watts/per gallon rule is outdated but im just trying to get an idea. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ironreef

IME sps do better under alot of light but if the sps at LSF has been there for a few mo. I would buy those. I know a guy who has sps under alot of no lighting= not to colorful but grows. i got a brown frag and it turn bright green from brown in my tank.

jtoliver

I have a 37 with 3 75watt vho and I have 4 sps and they are doing great. I have all of them high in the tank. I think you might be able to do it if you get them up high in the tank

big dave

Thanks guys. Yeah the tank they are in they are hight up. BTW, this is a display tank on our counter. The species are: green acropora and red acropora. We used to have a baby crocea clam in there but it didnt do well so we took it out and sold it.