SPS Nano?

justinx

I have often toyed with the idea of creating a nano reef specifically geared towards SPS corals. I know that the whole thing would have to be started from frags (nice and cheap:D ) I would also probably end up fragging often if things really took off, but hey, maybe that would be a way for me to make some cash or corals.
Anyway, here is my planned equipment list:
7 gallon AGA Mini-Bow
70w HQI halide
50w Ebo Jager for night heat
LR, and only about 2-3" sand bed
I plan to also put a fuge on the back which would work like a big power filter, and place the heater in there. For water movement, i woul basically get that from the return from the fuge, and if that was insufficient, add a PH to create a little more movement.
Livestock would be a basic clean up crew, maybe a shrimp, but no fish.
What does everyone think about this?

zack schwartz

Hey man
I hav been working with nanos a lot and have seen a common set-up like yours. Very good start and the only thing you need to think about is heat. Maybe a vry small fan from like radio shack.
Just give the nano a good time to mature as well and do you have a bigger tank, maybe add water from that to this tank to make the cycle go faster or not at all.
HTH
ZACK

spsfreak100

Depends what you call a "Nano." In my opinion, a nano tank is an aquarium with 29 gallons of water volume or less. I think it's cheating if someone has a 15 gallon tank, with a 40 gallon sump, thus giving them over 55 gallons of water volume :D
I personally think that the overall "planned equiptment" seems fairly good, although you may want to think about a 150wt halide. It shouldn't that much more expensive (if even cheaper), and there shouldn't be anymore of a heat issue than with the 70wt bulb. As Zack already stated, a good sized canopy as well as a Home Depot or Icecap fan should take care of the heat issues.
LR, and only about 2-3" sand bed
In my opinion, It's pointless to have such an amount of sand unless you're going to have a DSB (4" or more). A 1" sandbed would have the exact same effect as a 3" sandbed would. You might as well take avantage of that, and have a 1" sandbed, thus, giving you more room to stock the tank with liverock and coral fragments.
I think the overall system should be a huge sucess! You should also run ample amounts of carbon in the tank, to prevent any chemical warfare from happening, considering the small space.
Also, you may want to harvest xenia in your refugium as a nutrient export. That would be a great idea to do! Plus, you could frag the xenia numurous times and possibly sell the fragments and spend the money on new Frags.
Take Care,
Graham

justinx

The depth of the sandbed was just based off of my current tank. I have about 3" and less in some spots, more in others and I dont have a nitrate problem at all. But I think that you are right. If I am going to do a refugium, I should probably put about an inch and utilize the space more for corals, LR, etc.
I thought about a 150w halide, but thought that heat would be an issue, but I guess your probably right. The difference would probably be miniscual, especially with a fan.
Now, about the xenia harvesting. Could you go into a little more detail about this, or point me in the right direction for some more info? I have heard of this before, but never really thought about it. Does it work in the same fashion that using caulerpa does? Would I have to light it 24/7, or on a normal schedule? The questions go on and on, but I'll start there:D

spsfreak100

Originally posted by JustinX
Now, about the xenia harvesting. Could you go into a little more detail about this, or point me in the right direction for some more info? I have heard of this before, but never really thought about it. Does it work in the same fashion that using caulerpa does? Would I have to light it 24/7, or on a normal schedule? The questions go on and on, but I'll start there:D

I've seen quite a few different setups for xenia harvesting and nutrient export.
One setup I've seen includes a 10 gallon area built in with the sump. This area is completely empty, except of course for xenia. The water passes through one section of the sump into the xenia tank. Current could easily be made with a RIO 600. The tank would be lit with Power Compacts, or halides. The water would then pass through the xenia tank, into another portion of the sump, where it would then be passed back into the tank.
Another setup i've seen, is a plain 10-20 gallon rubbermaid tub. This tub would be conected to the sump. The water would pass from the tank down into the xenia tank (tub), and then the water would then be passed down into the sump, where it would be passed into the tank.
It's actually pretty similiar to harvesting caulerpa.
Would I have to light it 24/7, or on a normal schedule?
Normal Schedule.
Take Care,
Graham

zack schwartz

I was just at a house for a reef club metting and he had the xenia tank too, very cool to see how it workjed. Sorry can't go into much detail, but i can find out more if you all want.

justinx

Originally posted by Zack Schwartz
I was just at a house for a reef club metting and he had the xenia tank too, very cool to see how it workjed. Sorry can't go into much detail, but i can find out more if you all want.

I would appreciate that if you dont mind

firecopemt

My nano is a 13 gallon CPR tank with internal sump. Im using it right now to hold SPS till I get my new canopy built for my 75.
I use a 175 watt coralife 10K MH on it, and just use two 3 inch fans on it for air movement to keep the temp down....I havent had any problems with temp.

firecopemt

its around 10 inches above the water. With the distance from the water and the fans the temp doesnt go up at all.

firecopemt

oh, I built the canopy to hide the internal sump, and also to hide the powerstrips. I have the PC and MY ballasts mounted under the tank on a shelf, so I only have 3 cords coming out of the back of the tank.