SPS Polyp Extension

reefsoe

Ok here's the dilema.... I have 2 SPS frags both acro's and a colony of gemifera
Params are spot on
SG is great and temp is great...
Water flow - The gemifera has direct current from a power head about 2 inches away and the frags are close to that. All are in the top 3/4's of the tank under 500W of MH and 220w of VHO.
The polyps dont come out at all none of the color has been expelled but the polyps do not come out at all.
Im very confused
:help:

S

spsaddict

how long have you had these pieces? where were they in the vendors or lfs tanks? my guess is they are still acclimating to the difference in lights and flow as well as minor differences in h2o parameters

reefsoe

I can believe that... The frags came from the bottom of a 75g at the LFS ( Why they were on the bottom is beyond me ) But i've been bringing it to the top of my tank over the past 2 weeks. The Colony was at the top under same lighting and I've had that about the same amount of time.

jugger

actually if someone could help explain to me why some acros hardly ever have any polyp extention, some at night, and some all the time....

S

spsaddict

jugger- ime i have noticed that once established they kinda get used to certain things... my polyps never came out in the day untill about 4 months after they had been growing.... once they are fully acclimated (some take along time, i have a soli and a monti cap where the polyps com out at night only... but now most are comin out durring the day

jugger

so it is normal happy behavior for SPS polyps to extend most of the time.....seems like acro are alot more finicky then digitatas...digitatas seem to put out alot faster

S

spsaddict

acros are a less hardier species and much harder to please... that is why