SPS Questions

SPS doesnt strike me as close to the heart as it does some. I love my zoos and soft corals. However, the fiance thinks SPS is beautiful. I really dont think we have the lighting to support any SPS, but i figured i would get an opinion on what, if anything, i can keep in my 30gal with 130w PC (65w 10k, 65w Actinic) and about 25x turnover. I assume that anything i do keep would have to be placed high.
Thanks...

nycbob

try the monti digitata. they r one of the easiest sps. keep them on top tho. also, if possible, but aquacultured. they r hardier.

Originally Posted by chilwil84
a montipora might work but it will probably turn brown and grow slowly
See, that is what i dont want to happen. I dont want to keep something that is going to suffer....
Anyone else?

teen

a montipora capricornis may hold its color considering your parameters are spot on, and its in a relatively high area in the tank with nice flow. try a small piece of orange cap.
a montipora digitata would be a bad choice imo. they are montipora but should be blasted with light IME to keep there colors.mine are at the highest points in my tank. higher than 90% of my acros.

Originally Posted by teen
a montipora capricornis may hold its color considering your parameters are spot on, and its in a relatively high area in the tank with nice flow. try a small piece of orange cap.
a montipora digitata would be a bad choice imo. they are montipora but should be blasted with light IME to keep there colors.mine are at the highest points in my tank. higher than 90% of my acros.
Thanks...
Anyone else, i want to be a sure as possible before i spend the money.

psusocr1

IMO i would wait to upgrade lights... i dont think you will be happy with how they will look under pc's.. They get there awesome color not only from perfect parameters and lots of flow but also from the halides there under..
but either way you can give a frag a try and decide from there

Originally Posted by psusocr1
but either way you can give a frag a try and decide from there

I may do that. An LFS here has Orange Monti Cap frags from a piece that they have been growing since they opened. I guess we will see how it goes...