SPS, Softie Prop Tanks, 1 System or 2 Systems?

lutz493

I've been planning to set-up 2, 55 Gallon Prop Tanks.
I am stealing Kips idea and stacking them up.
To stack the 55 over the other I am worried that their may not be enough support for the top 55 if I didn't run a Center front brace up from the floor..
I decided it almost maybe better to set-up 4, 30 gallon tanks.
My main question here is what do you guys think.. 1 System for running the SPS and 1 System for running the Softies or should I combine them into one?
The pros of 1 system is saving money on having to buy 2 of everything aside from lightning, I think that it'll also be alot easier to maintain water stability.
The bad thing about 1 system seems to be the sofities releasing toxins that ultimately hurt the SPS.
That is a cloudy area for me......
The softies are not going to release toxins unless they feel the need to defend themselves yes? And what determines this?
If one colony of Zoos starts to encroach upon another colony of Zoos then they will release? Or if colony of Zoos starts to encroach upon something like Star Polyps they will release?
Could this problem of corals releasing toxins be prevented by simply setting up these 4, 30 gallon tanks and keeping the corals properly seperated?
What do you guys think about this situation? I'd really like to hear several opinions on this.
Thank you.

stapler

Kip created a thread not too long ago...dont know if you have already read it, but might want to if you havent(on his frag tanks).
Just keep an eye on the corals. I would think if you would check up on the tanks each day(probably would anyhow), you can monitor corals getting too close to one another.

lutz493

Yeah I read it.
If I had 4, 30 gallon tanks that should be more then enough room to grow out frags, nothin would ever touch.
My concern is under what conditions would a softie release toxins. If it is only if it is getting defensive it wouldn't be a problem.
I am more concerned if some sort of stress entered the tank for whatever reason, I wouldn't have a buncha toxins flowing through my water lines.

nas19320

You could run carbon and that would help, if it were me I would keep the tanks seperate from one another.

dburr

You could run carbon and that would help, if it were me I would keep the tanks seperate from one another.
I agree.
You run it seperate why? Soloely for the purpose of protecting the SPS from the Softies?
This is why.
If one colony of Zoos starts to encroach upon another colony of Zoos then they will release? Or if colony of Zoos starts to encroach upon something like Star Polyps they will release?
Zoos will be fine groing side by side.
Corals release toxins not only to defend an area but also to expand on an area. I don't know all the mecanics but they know when something is near them and know weather or not it's in their family. To be safe I would run them separatly. They will grow better and faster without competing with each other.
HTH

lutz493

Alright Kip thanks.
I'll split them. I'm gonna steal your rack idea and go with 4 30 gallons.
Gonna run 2 ES5-3s, I suppose then 1 Calc Reactor on the 2 SPS Tanks,
Debating if I wanna go MH for both. I've gotten mixed answers on whether or not I will notice significant softie growth using a MH system or just going with VHO.