SPS Under PC Lighting...Possible?

olsenjb

I realize the BEST thing for SPS is Metal Halide lighting. But, I was curious if any of you have had luck with SPS under PC lighting? I have 4x65W over my 55, and I was given a Hydnophora frag from a friend. I honestly expected it to die under PC lighting, but it has flourished. It's to the point I'm going to have to start fragging it has grown so large. I realize Hydnophoras are a low-light stony, but I was curious if there are any others anyone has had luck with. Thanks.

spsfreak100

The only "SPS" i've ever kept "successfully" was an Hydnophora ridiga. Anything else simply turned brown and eventually died. If you're interested in some of the more colorfull corals, including Acropora, I would invest some money into metal halides, like Magic_Carp suggested.
Graham

nm reef

I had a 55 for just over 3 years with 4x65 10K PC's & 2x110 VHO's...the only "SPS" type that did well was a hydnophora rigida. I managed to keep a decent montipora digitata alive...but just barely. Both have drastically improved under 2x400 MH's & 2x110 VHO's in a new display. There are a few "SPS" types that may live under less than intense lighting...but there is a difference between living and thriving. In addition there is much more to consider to properly maintain SPS type corals than just lighting source....
...and in regard to the 6500k reference above...its my understanding that 65k lamps can be a very good choice. Lots of very experienced reefkeepers run 65k's with success...its my understanding that lighting below 65k may be problematic...but I believe 65K MH's like Iwasakis can be very effective.:thinking: