Squamosa Clam

cafero702

Am i able to keep this type of clam in my tank i have power compacts i forgot the watts.
Ive been told all clams need MH's. I was doing some research and these type of clams it says it needs only moderate lighting.
Is this true?

gio28

im kinda curious about this too cause i have PCs and have been wanting one of these.

salt210

I have read this myself, but it would probably still depend on the amount of wattage and placement of the clam

nycbob

its doable under power compact for sure, but for better success, mh or t5 is recommended. if u must go with pc, then make sure u hv enough bulbs over it, and the tank isnt too deep, since squamosa clams do better on the substrate.

cafero702

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3085525
its doable under power compact for sure, but for better success, mh or t5 is recommended. if u must go with pc, then make sure u hv enough bulbs over it, and the tank isnt too deep, since squamosa clams do better on the substrate.
well i can put it high in the tank but it would be on rocks my tank is about 2 and a half feet high. to deep for the substrate?

reefforbrains

Yes too deep in my opinion for placing in the substrate.
Throughout the hobby there is always some WANT. Do it right and be patient. PCs are not advised for any clams. Squamosa or otherwise. Put in on the back burner for things too add when you upgrade lighting down the road.
JMO

cafero702

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3087673
Yes too deep in my opinion for placing in the substrate.
Throughout the hobby there is always some WANT. Do it right and be patient. PCs are not advised for any clams. Squamosa or otherwise. Put in on the back burner for things too add when you upgrade lighting down the road.
JMO
Ya thats what i was thinking i mean Yes ive always wanted a clam but i bought my lights for having a semi softy reef tank im just going to wait for my reef tank ima build in about a year lol

mr.clownfish

i have been wanting a nice clam for the last 3 years now and i wasn't sure if i could get one. but now i am!! would it be ok under 90watts of lighting? i have 2 light fixtures 1 4x65watts PC's and one 2x25watt T5's. WOULD IT WORK?? I MUST KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!