SQUIDD or EXPERIENCED ELECTRICIANS

salty cheese

I'm replacing a blown ballast in a PFO duel 150w HQI setup, the ballast in the original setup is a Sola Basic(M81) and I'm replacing it with an Advance(M81).
The diagram for the Advance ballast says to tie in the "com" wire from the ballast to the black from the power cord, the problem is that there are 2 "com" wires coming off the ballast!?
On my original setup the black comes off the power cord and goes into the switch and comes out on the 120v and the white comes out of the power cord and goes into the "com"?.
I'M LOST, HELP

zman1

Can you scan and post the wiring diagram or schematic? What your describing on the new one doesn't sound correct.

squidd

One "com" goes to power cord, the other goes to the bulb..they are the "same" wire (connected internaly) so either will be fine...
Should have a wireing diagram on the unit like this...

zman1

Squidd the part I have an issue with is red below
The diagram for the Advance ballast says to tie in the "com" wire from the ballast to the black from the power cord, the problem is that there are 2 "com" wires coming off the ballast!?

salty cheese

Originally Posted by Squidd
One "com" goes to power cord, the other goes to the bulb..they are the "same" wire (connected internaly) so either will be fine...
Ok that was my biggest concern.(btw that area is ground zero on the blow out)

Should have a wireing diagram on the unit like this...
Yup, but that is Greek to me :scared:
Also I have wires that are capped off, what is the best way to insulate them? Nuts or the plastic "shrinky dinks"?
Thanks
This gets weirder, most of the Advance Tranformer sites come up 404 and the packing slip from the Geeks has Hello on it??!

squidd

I'm more of a solder and shrink tube kind of guy, but wire nuts are perfectly acceptable...

zman1

example
Catalog Number 71A5486
For 150W M81
60 Hz CWA
Insulation Class H(180°C)
Catalog Number 72C5481
For 150W M81
60 Hz HX-HPF
Insulation Class A (105°C)

zman1

I like your reply squidd --Better connection
PS. Shrink tube generally is good to 500F it's like 260 C. you need to look before you buy.

salty cheese

I'm more of a solder and shrink tube kind of guy, but wire nuts are perfectly acceptable...
First, I have 2 more questions.

From the ballast-"lamp" to wire from socket #1
Which one is #1 white or black?
Second: from the the ballast "com" should be tied into x-2 and (see first question) socket #2.
Correct?
Shrink tube: I bought some that is rated for 194f/90c is this good enough or do I need something better?

squidd

1. If your going to a DE socket it doesn't matter...(you can flip the bulb either way)
If your going to a SE/mogul base socket ...got to the center pin and com to the outer shell...
2. Yes...
194f/90c
That sounds awfully low...you sure that's not the "activation" temp...??

salty cheese

I'm confused.
On the Sola ballast:
Com from the igniter and com from the ballast tie into white to the lamp.
And lamp from the igniter and lamp from the ballast tie into black.
But the diagram for the Advance ballast has, lamp from the ballast tied only to the black, x-1 and x-1 lamp are wired seperatly.
Is it possible the 'same' ballast have two different wiring diagrams?

squidd

And lamp from the igniter and lamp from the ballast tie into black.
But the diagram for the Advance ballast has, lamp from the ballast tied only to the black, x-1 and x-1 lamp are wired seperatly.
It's really the same...it's kind of like the "com" wire...they (x-1 and x-1/lamp) and "lamp" are tied together "internally" rather than external like on the sola..