Sssoooo, who has had an esophageal pH probe?

ophiura

I am having one, right now. Not the greatest thing, I must say.
I lost my voice from that neck surgery and now I have to do a song and dance to rule out other things. I was petrified of getting it done, frankly. It is not too bad since it is upper throat and I don't feel it. It is yet another step to try and get back to normal!!

meowzer

OHHH sorry to hear that...hope this helps you to figure out what's wrong so they can fix it.

lovethesea

You poor thing...good lord girl, are you falling apart? My grandma suffered terribly from Hiatal Hernia. She always had to sleep practically sitting up. She always had to watch what she ate,and how she ate it. I am sure now it is called something else and there are meds, but I know she was miserable.
My girlfriend has to take Prilosec everyday and it even help get rid of a cough she had from the reflux.
good luck, I hope your days start getting better.

scotts

I lost my voice from that neck surgery and now I have to do a song and dance to rule out other things.
OK first of all I thought "Wow she has a stage performance and has to get stuff done so she can sing at her performance." Then I realized how stupid I was and thought of the irony of what you said. You have to do a song and dance (Do a bunch of stuff) because you lost your voice. OK so I might be a little stressed out about our upcoming "vacation."
I am not sure is this is the same thing but I did have to hold down my 18 month old daughter while a doctor shoved a wire up her nose so that it would hang down in the back of her throat to see if she had a reflux problem. The holding her down was the easy part, the nurse practitioner kept telling us that he was doing it wrong and how she would never let him work on her child. Then they had to take x-rays to see if it was in the right place. Then the real fun of following her around for 24 hours holding the recorder that only had about 2 feet of wire from her nose to the recorder. (edit: after reading the title again I think this is what you are having done right now. Don't drink any soda while you are doing this, it has a low pH.)
Uh oh, this is another of those TMI things I haave been doing lately?
Susan, I sure do hope that you get better soon. I have always said that they can do amazing things in medicine now, it is just that you do not want to have to have them done on you. Is your back pain better at least?

ophiura

YUp Scotts - that is exactly it. No x ray, it is the top of my throat. And I am sitting here looking at the read out now (pH 6.3). I have to hit a button with ever cough. I have actually been on Prevacid and sleep at an angle now for 5 months to try and prove it is not reflux, but they want to test anyway JUST to be sure. Ugh. It was the neck surgery that did it. I'm pretty aggravated by the whole thing. :(