Stand & Sump for 55gal FOWLR

realmling

I'm planning out my first SW tank, and I believe I've managed to nearly get a decent idea of what I'll need to make...though I've most likely overdone things....stand is currently planned at 16d x 36h x 52l (inches)
My ever growing list of questions for everything else is here
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/306018/qs-on-first-sw-and-qt-setup
So, this morning I whipped up some quick and dirty 3D models of tank, stand, and base sump layout. (I just think better in 3D) The only things I'm 100% sure of are the skimmer and heaters....everything else is down to what else goes in and where...
I set up for skimmer chamber, two main filtration chambers, heater and return area...but since I don't really have a clue...I'm here to beg for help.
Am I on the right track here or have I gone way overboard?

nordy

I like the plan for your stand! Planning your stand to hold all the stuff is a great idea-I built a stand for my 55 long out of plywood with dimensions of: platform is 22w x 50L and 19" tall which fit in with my computer work station, tables, etc. It also leaves some room on the platform for "fish stuff" as the tank is only 12 1/2" wide. I made the mistake of putting a speaker under the table so i can't make use of that space now cause of the table support framing and I am not about to drain the tank! In hindsight, after 6 years with this tank/stand setup I would prefer a stand like yours so I don't have 2 canister pumps and heater hanging on the back of the tank. Plus, my stand won't allow easy cleaning/maintenance of my sealife systems bioball sump system.
I look forward to pictures of your stand when you build it, I may be motivated to go that way in the future!

realmling

Don't know how soon we'll get going on the SW adventure, but we are going to have to relocate our 55gal freshwater tank here relatively soon (it's sitting on a temp counter top thing in the dining area)..and I figure we'll just build our own stand because it's not like we don't have enough stuff lying around from our house remodeling right now.

Will make sure I post some shots of that when we get it started as there won't be too much difference between the stands themselves. Just don't have to worry about a sump for the FW fishies.