Staple Diet for my Fowlr

mohawkninja

Hi all, new to the forums
I have a 55g fowlr with 2 green chromis and 2 ocellaris clowns. I feed a mix of fozen mysis, freeze dried brine shrimp, omega one flake w/garlic, and nls pellets. I love the nls pellets, but my chromis are having a hard time eating them becuase of their small mouthes. I want to know if the omega one flake was enough to become their staple diet, along with the treats.

bang guy

I would suggest not feeding brine shrimp or flaked food. The Mysis is excellent. Perhaps add some frozen Cyclop-Eeze or start blending your own food.

vdtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522148
I would suggest not feeding brine shrimp or flaked food. The Mysis is excellent. Perhaps add some frozen Cyclop-Eeze or start blending your own food.
Question
Why stay away from brine Shrimp? I feed my fish's some dry granules, unfrozen brine shrimp and some sea weed mix meaty food.
But they really LOVE that brine shrimp when i add in they go crazy especial my (clown fish and wrasse).

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkninja http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522150
What do you think about the NLS pellets? I'm probably going to start making my own food once I get some time.
I haven't done any testing or experiments with pellets so I have no opinion. If they seem to work well and don't pollute the water then I see nothing wrong but as you said, Chromis have a hard time because of the size.

S

saxman

Question
Why stay away from brine Shrimp? I feed my fish's some dry granules, unfrozen brine shrimp and some sea weed mix meaty food.
But they really LOVE that brine shrimp when i add in they go crazy especial my (clown fish and wrasse).
Live adult brine shrimp just aren't very nutritious "as-is", however, they are what you make of them. By enriching (gutloading/feeding) them with nutritious things, they're like lovely little capsules of goodness. For instance, you can feed them things like finely divided pellets or marine flake food, brewer's yeast, spirulina powder, beta glucan, Selcon, etc. before you feed them out, they can be a good way to get good things into your fishes.
The really small NLS pellets work really well for small-mouthed fish such as Anthias, smaller damsels, OSFF, etc. as are mysis and cyclopeeze, as mentioned.

S

saxman

Question
Live adult brine shrimp just aren't very nutritious "as-is", however, they are what you make of them. By enriching (gutloading/feeding) them with nutritious things, they're like lovely little capsules of goodness. For instance, you can feed them things like finely divided pellets or marine flake food, brewer's yeast, spirulina powder, beta glucan, Selcon, etc. before you feed them out, they can be a good way to get good things into your fishes.
The really small NLS pellets work really well for small-mouthed fish such as Anthias, smaller damsels, OSFF, etc. as do mysis and cyclopeeze, as mentioned.

mohawkninja

I have the 1mm NLS pellets, but my Chromis are pretty small and they have a really hard time eating them. The Clowns are cool with them, but I'm going to probably feed something different untill my Chromis get bigger.

mohawkninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522160
The really small NLS pellets work really well for small-mouthed fish such as Anthias, smaller damsels, OSFF, etc. as do mysis and cyclopeeze, as mentioned.
I have the 1mm NLS pellets, but my Chromis are pretty small and they have a really hard time eating them. The Clowns are cool with them, but I'm going to probably feed something different untill my Chromis get bigger.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkninja http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522184
I never liked pellet food...LOL, not even for bunnies, or my parrot. It always reminded me of Soylent Green (a movie)
Frozen Mysis is awesome food, the cubes have large and little pieces, so each critter can find what they want to eat. The shrimps or hermits, depending on what scavengers live in the tank, clean up any wasted food.

mohawkninja

I had never really loved pellets, but I met a avid reefer at my LFS who swore by NLS so I decided I would give it a shot. Is there a huge difference between the freeze dried and frozen Mysis? I am feeding frozen, but freeze dried food is always more convenient. Sorry for all the questions, kind of a saltwater noob. :/

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522160
I'm not sure you noticed but he was feeding freeze dried brine shrimp. It may be a challenge to gutload them.
I'm sure they are somehow "enriched" but it's difficult to determine what that actually means in terms of nutrition.
If it were me I would just make my own using a variety of seafood and dried seaweed in a blender. Freeze everything and add a little RO water and everything will blend up nicely. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

mohawkninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522193
I'm not sure you noticed but he was feeding freeze dried brine shrimp. It may be a challenge to gutload them.
I'm sure they are somehow "enriched" but it's difficult to determine what that actually means in terms of nutrition.
If it were me I would just make my own using a variety of seafood and dried seaweed in a blender. Freeze everything and add a little RO water and everything will blend up nicely.
All I know that the brine shrimp is "enriched" with is a vitamin E supplement, but I am going to start making my own food pretty soon. I am really short on time at the moment, so I have been feeding prepared food.

S

saxman

Erf...guess I did miss that Bang...unless he gets the "Zombie Brand" of BS, he'll definitely have a tuff time.

That being said, I agree with Bang...those BS aren't really giving your fish what they need. BS+ by Hikari, which is frozen, is a better choice, but still isn't a complete diet.

vdtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/395580/staple-diet-for-my-fowlr#post_3522155
I equate Brine Shrimp with feeding your kids potato chips. Not very nutrient dense.
LOL, It figure the way they act once I had some brine shrimp(like candy for kids) . They will eat the dry granules and will pause waiting for me to add brine shrimp. But lately I change it up by adding frozen marine algae basically for my dwarf angel fish but it seem like they all eat it.