Star Polyp Question

scubachris

OK I had a rock about 5 inches long and 4 inces wide, and it was covered with green star polyps. I have had it in my tank for about 1 1/2 months and it was growing great. All of a sudden it just closed up some time yesterday and still hasn't come back out. I left it alone for a while, then took a turkey baster and blew some current on it, nothing seems to help. Any ideas? Anyone had this happen. My tank is 30g everything tests great, and my lighting is 135w orbit. My xenia are doing great and pulsing away. Totally confused. Help?

dse

mine does this at night to protect it's self wich it's probably doing at the mo and blasting it with a baster might not of been the best of ideas i would leave it for a day and see how it looks.
also do u have hermits? and what fish do you have?
wheres it placed?
i placed mine in the sand in a "non active fish swim zone" and blooms greatly.
good luck with your star polyp

big

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Sometimes the silly things just close up fro no apparent reason.......Several days to as much as a week later they open back up.
A little extra flow from a PH on them sometimes opening them back up.
I had a chance learning experience with them a while back. I had placed a big chunk of Zoas down on a larger spot of GSP's.....Within minutes almost all the GPS in the tank, some 4 or so feet away closed up tight......The next day all of the little coral weeds where still closed.... This was at least 8 or 10 patches of them, some very large, some small. It was about a week till the reopened.
The only assumption I could draw from this was some kind of a biochemical signal to the other GSP groups of impending danger.........I have not yet read of any particular chemical release issue with GSP, but it is about the only assumption I can draw from seeing the event occur...... In other words maybe they do this as a protective measure somehow. But they do close up from time to time for what seems like no apparent reason. But it never fails the pretty little animal weeds of the coral world will with time open back up.