Star Polyps?

T

tattooedlife

I have a section of one of my Figi rocks thats sorta honey comb shaped. I thought what ever was once there had died some time before I got the rock. But now its growing back. It has a real poreous looking brown surface(sorta looks like brown moss.) with what seems to look like stars popping out of it. The stars are green colored. Is this what is called star polyps? What should I be adding to help with this growth? I think some-one had suggested Reef Advantage or Reef Plus. Which is best? Is there something better?

[This message has been edited by Tattooedlife (edited 04-19-2000).]
[This message has been edited by Tattooedlife (edited 04-19-2000).]

halide

Sounds like star phylops and if they started from somthing that looked dead sounds like your already doing the right additions.Like the old saying goe's don't fix it if it a'nt broke.GOODLUCK

groucheux

I have the same thing...brown, honeycomb, looking things. How long have you had your rock? Mine has only been in the tank 1 week. I haven't seen any green things...but the honeycomb stuff seems to be spreading.

kmr

Kinda strange. My green stars come from a mat with little purple spikes the polyp comes out of. This is not purple due to algea. The surface is soft to the touch and when grown can be cut or peeled off rock to propagate.

T

tattooedlife

Originally posted by KMR:
Kinda strange. My green stars come from a mat with little purple spikes the polyp comes out of. This is not purple due to algea. The surface is soft to the touch and when grown can be cut or peeled off rock to propagate.

Sounds about like the same thing I have, but its a brown mat instead of purple. I can touch the green polyps and they draw back in to the brown mat.(The mat is soft)