Starfish & Crabs ?

stapler

Yeah I got a bunch of hermits in my tank, but wanted to add a little variety....maybe some kind of crap or starfish.

ukcats

A decorator crab is not totally reef safe. It places things..potentially polyps...on their back for camoflage. However, once they cover their back sufficiently they stop doing that. Also, mine killed my starfish hitchhiker that came with my live rock...saw him munchin' on it one day.:mad:

sabby

Linkia stars are reef safe, but they need an established tank (6 months to 1 year old minimum) and at least 100 lbs of live rock in order to survive.
Serpent and brittle stars are also reef safe... but steer clear of the green brittle. I had one that was a model citizen while small, but once he got big (18 inches from tip to tip), he started eating my smaller fish. :mad:
With any starfish a lengthy (3 hours minimum) drip acclimation is one of the big keys to success.
HTH

enomadra

That's funny waterfaller1 I just got a porcelain crab too on Sunday
. I have Sallylightfoots, Emerald, Blue Leg Hermits, Red Scarlet Hermits, two bright orange and blue dont know what they are crabs, my porcelain, and a boxer. So far everyone is getting along fine. Oh and an orange elegant star
Here is a pic of my porcelain he is cool to watch as he waves his feather hands to catch food.

enomadra

Here is the Star ( I think it is an elegant star??):notsure:
This star is very cool though, it curz's all around the tank, on the glass, liverock, everywhere. It does not bother any of the other inhabitants and looks real neat.
Anyway that's my input. :)

steel

an anemone crab dose tote a anemone on its back it just stays in one. i know they can live with out one but they really like to have one.
emerald crabs are good they have never ever bothered anything in my tank. they just walk up and down the back side of my rock work cleaning.

enomadra

Thanks :D I get lucky with the camera I am using (Sony Cyber-shot 2.1 mega pixel), it does not have a manual focus on it :nope:. I usually have to move the camera in all kinds of different positions to get the focus and light to be just right then, snap it. Next camera will have a manual focus on it with interchangable lenses. :jumping: :cheer:

steel

i dont think anything really happens it just dies and then the crab might go alittle crazy and try to get one to jump on or well place one on its back i dont know how it would go about it though.

rsd

When I bought on eof my Boxer crabs it had only one anenomie. It spent alot of time trying out various polyps. The first it tried was xenia, then a yellow polyp (it kept that for a long time) unfortunatley now.... it is carrying an aptaisia in it's other claw. Little BA$$$##. It also has gotten HUGE for a boxer. I really like the little guy... just wish he would drop the appy.
I have 3 in my tank. the other two are really small and hide a littel too much for me.

steel

i was just wondering how big your tank was and about how many AC i could have in about a 30 gl?
Thanks
Travis