Starfish For Aggressive Tank??

michaeltx

probably not very long they are the menu of both those fish!!
green brittle star is the only one that I have even attempted and it didnt last long in there with them.
mike

ophiura

Absolutely positively no way will it work. Both are predators - and very aggressive one's at that - of all seastars and brittlestars.

wanabebell

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
correct me if im wrong but dont african stars work sinc they to are aggressive by nature?
no african stars dont stand a chance they dont have any true defense to a trigger or a puffer

lion_crazz

As Ophiura stated, no starfish will work with either of those fish, no matter how well fed they are.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
correct me if im wrong but dont african stars work sinc they to are aggressive by nature?

"Aggressive by nature?" Certainly not. They are "aggressive" in a coral reef because they are predatory. They are not aggressive in the same sense as fish can be. They are slow moving and basically defenseless.

pogi pants

i have a sand sifting starfish with my porcupine puffer and undulated trigger. i think he's stayed alive cuz he stays under the sand. i've even seen him come out of the sand at night and cruise on top of the rocks while the fish are sleeping. so there's an idea for you.

garnet13aj

Do toby puffers eat starfish? I have a cc star and was planning on getting a toby puffer but I won't if it'll eat my starfish

ophiura

Originally Posted by Pogi Pants
i have a sand sifting starfish with my porcupine puffer and undulated trigger. i think he's stayed alive cuz he stays under the sand. i've even seen him come out of the sand at night and cruise on top of the rocks while the fish are sleeping. so there's an idea for you.

Except that most of these stars will starve to death in smaller tanks, or those without a deep sand bed, in about a year to a 18 months. Not always, but in general.
It might work for some, it doesn't work for many.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
Do toby puffers eat starfish? I have a cc star and was planning on getting a toby puffer but I won't if it'll eat my starfish
It most likely will nip at your starfish.

pogi pants

Originally Posted by ophiura
Except that most of these stars will starve to death in smaller tanks, or those without a deep sand bed, in about a year to a 18 months. Not always, but in general.
It might work for some, it doesn't work for many.
yeah, but u won't want a small tank with a clown trigger and a dogface puffer. :thinking:

lion_crazz

Right, that was what Ophiura was getting to. You cannot keep sand sifters in small fish tanks. They will starve.
You don't have a deep sand bed with your trigger and puffer, do you?

ophiura

Originally Posted by Pogi Pants
yeah, but u won't want a small tank with a clown trigger and a dogface puffer. :thinking:

YOu would be surprised how many people would keep these in a 55g tank.
The real issue is that these stars need the deep sand bed consistent with a reef tank (which they destroy) but not the amount of LR found in one.
In general though, you still take your chances. Odds are still quite good that the star will be eaten.

pogi pants

i got him for free, and i knew that there was a good chance that he wouldn't make it to the bottom of the tank before he got ripped to shreds. but he's been in there for a few weeks now and he's been fine.
but if they do end up figuring out that he tastes good, then it'll be a free big meal for them.

pogi pants

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Right, that was what Ophiura was getting to. You cannot keep sand sifters in small fish tanks. They will starve.
You don't have a deep sand bed with your trigger and puffer, do you?
It varies, it goes from 1 1/2" to 4"