starfish Problem?

ugavirules

I just found this site and think its great, I only wish I had found it before I got my starfish (Chocolate and green brittle).
I did not know how to acclimate properly (as I've found out on this site today, all I was told to do was to float them in their bag for 20 minutes which I did and then scoop them out and place them in the tank.
my ph was low 7.5 (I did not check before I put them in ! I know stupid stupid stupid, but I'm learning the hard way!) so I used the marine buffer to bring it back up. During this time the starfish quit moving around! When they were first placed they moved quite a bit but now nothing! Have I killed them? How will I know? I really don't know what to do at this point other than watch and wait but was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is anything else I can do?
Thanks for any replys, like I said I am new to this so please don't blast me too bad!:nervous:

jlm

Well you've found the right place. You need to bring yourlevels up slowly. I would keep an eye on them. If they start to fall apart then I would say they will not make it. But who knows you may get lucky and have them pull through it. Are these going into a reef tank? I wouldn't put a choc. in a reef. And I like the green brittle but a lot of people have had problem with them eating there fish when they get larger. Just a heads up. Welcome to the board and hang in there. We all make mistakes.

ugavirules

Thanks for the reply! No its not really a reef tank, I've just started with the saltwater tank.
A little about my tank so you'll know where I'm at with it.
75 gallon
4 damsel's
2 clown fish
1 med. sized live rock
5 snails
2 if they make it starfish.
crushed coral substrate
two power heads
double power wheel filter
Again thanks for the reply and I sure hope they make it!

jlm

try more lr. I believe that star fish need a good amount of lr. What are your water levels?