Starfish Questions

fretfreak13

I havn't actually picked one yet, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a brief overview of the non-reef-safe stars? What makes them not reef-safe? Do they eat inverts, or coral? If coral, what kinds? Is it all, or to they target polyps on SPS, or....? I was thinking about having one as a tankmate for my mantis (I heard they get along...sometimes) but I have softies and an LPS in there.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3230535
I havn't actually picked one yet, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a brief overview of the non-reef-safe stars? What makes them not reef-safe? Do they eat inverts, or coral? If coral, what kinds? Is it all, or to they target polyps on SPS, or....? I was thinking about having one as a tankmate for my mantis (I heard they get along...sometimes) but I have softies and an LPS in there.
I'm not a starfish expert, especially ones that aren't considered reef safe, but from my understanding they eat softies and LPS. I think other than the Serpent and Brittles, the rest don't really eat inverts
You could always PM Ophiura (sp?)

lmecher

Steer clear of the green brittle stars. These will set traps for fish and eat them, all other colored brittles and all serpents are fine and a great addition to a reef tank. Most of the other starfish you will find in this hobby are extremely difficult to keep and are better off left in the ocean IMO.