starfish

loren

My daughter was beachcomming and found a starfish, how do I keep it alive and healthy. the only other fish we have is a beta.

airforceb2

There is a slight chance it would live in a saltwater tank but it would be much happier back in the ocean.

rgmason

Depending on where you are....... Its illegal to take wild caught animals from the ocean in some places and their could be a heavy fine if caught. Just letting you know. I lived in Fort Meyers beach FLorida for a couple of years and i know that if you get caught taking live shells Starfish etc etc it can be punishable to a 1500$ fine and 90 days in jail.
So it would be best if you left the starfish in the ocean. JMO

n.y.mets

Originally Posted by loren
My daughter was beachcomming and found a starfish, how do I keep it alive and healthy. the only other fish we have is a beta.
o people stop with all the fines and jail time her daughter found a star fish (big deal) give her a break put the star fish in ur salt water tank if it leaves then it does....

ophiura

It is really important to return it to the ocean! If you do not have a saltwater tank set up and established there is little hope for the seastar. Actually, if it was washed up it is probably already unhealthy. But seastars need established saltwater tanks to be kept I am afraid. It unfortunately is a hard lesson to learn :(