starfish

littlec984

Can you put star fish in a tank with fish. I was wondering because I don't know what they eat. If you put a star fish into your tank then what should you not put in with the star fish??? Also is a protein skimmer a must to have in your tank.....

leigh

Starfish are very fragile creatures, should only be kept by experienced hobbiests, in an established tank. There are some kinds that can be spot fed, but many popular species will frankly starve to death as they cannot be properly fed in the aquarium environment. For more information please do a search (click on the button--top right) and particularly read responses by one of the moderators nic-named Ophiura. When it comes to starfish, she's the resident expert.
As for skimmers--not necessary, but a really big help. I wouldn't run my tanks without one.

T

toungetwster

Skimmers really help in the upkeep...and also help keep the water clearer! As for starfish..I have one...but they do require additional care. I target feed mine every other day with meaty foods. He's in a tank with other fish and snails...without problems..but again I keep everyone well fed.

bas12547

I don't agree that all species are hard to keep. I have a chocolate chip that climbs to the top and holds out an arm for me to feed it.
Just be aware that this particular type of star fish is not reef friendly, but very hard to kill.
Brian

jtroutine

I agree with the cc star. I dont feed him anything except once in a while I will put him over a piece of shrimp as a treat. Fun animal to watch