Stars & Stripes Puffer

jcs69

I just added my first fish into my new SW tank.. My first choice was the stars/stripes puffer. He has already become pretty personable and will even eat out of my hand. Anyone else with a S/S puffer, anyone with any comments or suggestions..??

jamos6

Man I use to have 1 before I moved but I sold all my tanks. Now Im having to start over. N E Ways besides my eel He was my favorite fish. They have great character. I use to pt my hand in the tank and he would swim around it and in and out of my fingers. Enjoy yours I know I did mine. Im going to get another but it will probably b a porky not sure yet though

evilss

all i can say is great fish. they are amazing. i have kept puffers for a while. deffinatly one of my favorites.

pufferman

Agreed. Puffers in general are great fish to have, and star & striped is no exception. Mine has the biggest appetite among all my puffers. The funny thing is that mine always follow my porcupine puffer. They even sleep together side by side at night. You know SS do get BIG (more than 20" long in the wild), and they rather grow pretty fast. So just make sure that you give him a bigger home later on. Then, your SS should be very happy.

pufferman

how big a tank would be needed for a s @ s puffer
For a small specimen...let's say less than 5".... any size between 40 and 80 should be fine. But, you need at least 120g in the long run so that there would be an ample room for proper growth....But I would say the absolute minimum size is 75 for any adult (or semi-adult) specimen.

adamz

even tho i have one and hes just a baby hes really shy but im working on getting him to come out more but, my boss's friend brought back his stars and strips and this thing is gigantic its prolly like 13 in long and and as big yas you could make your two hands fit in a circle if you kno what i mean(put all your finger tips together and spread):joy: anyways that puffer has had its own 125 for like 10 years so thats why hes that big