Start simple, you don't need all that crap

greenreefer

My suggestions for someone just starting this reef keeping habit...get out while you still can, jk

Keep it simple to start with (and maybe even long term).
Start small until you really figure out what you're doing because you're going to upgrade no matter what.
Buy something like a biocube, aquapod, etc, something in the 20 - 30 gallon range with built in back chambers. For lighting if you can afford it select the MH or T5 route something like the Sunpod, but you can do quite a bit with the stock lighting. BUY TIMERS to automate your lighting period.
Buy a heater and at least 1 more pump, but don't go crazy something like a Koralia 1 is great for these size tanks.
Start with about 1 20lb bag of dry aragonite sand. You can find CaribSea products at your local big box pet store pretty cheap. RINSE YOUR SAND BEFORE USING IT!
I personally would start with mostly base rock and just a couple pieces of live rock to seed it, but most people are in a big hurry so buy your live rock, but look for pieces that aren't covered in algae. I hear people all of the time say "look at all that cool stuff growing on it" but believe me you won't want all of that cool stuff in your tank. Remember that you are going to be setting corals in and on the rock work so holes and cracks are very good things. Your going to want to be able to wedge your stuff in place so it doesn't get knocked over every night.
Once you've cycled do large water changes every week (remember we're talking about a small tank, 1 5 gallon container should be good).
Really that's all you need for a pretty solid tank.
Slow and steady is the best advice you'll ever get. Try to keep up with daily top off and weekly water change.
Get comfortable with this setup before you start adding things. Once you get the hang of it the first things you will probably add are some kind of filter media in the back chambers (chemipure elite, purigen, things like that) and the next thing that I'd recommend is an automatic top off.
Do your homework before you buy your livestock. Your going to have livestock die so expect that but learn from it don't just keep throwing the same fish in there without making changes.

greenreefer

That's one of those things that's overkill for newbies with a small tank though. They should be able to pickup saltwater from their LFS. I 100% agree that they should be using RO DI water but buying all that equipment for a stater tank is kind of information overload and they probably not buy the proper setup for the long term anyways.

J

jetskiking

I'm a firm believer on keeping it simple in this hobby. I even still try to do it after almost twenty years. The more gadgets and gizmos the more that can go wrong. Knowledge is the most important thing to be equiped with.

florida joe

I am a believer in keeping it simple BUT I believe simple and small is not the same thing. I would get the biggest tank I could afford alone with the best equipment I could afford. Smaller tanks have inherent problems due to their lack of volume. The inexperienced hobbyist may not be qualified to deal with these problems, which can in turn dissuade them from what would other wise rewarding hobby So IMO go big but go simple

I with Joe here, I know a few people who bought small had varied problems and gave up all together, granted they could be consideed part of thier own problem, but alot had to do with not being able to control there water quailty in a small volume. But yes keep it simple and as NATURAL as possible.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3141925
I am a believer in keeping it simple BUT I believe simple and small is not the same thing. I would get the biggest tank I could afford alone with the best equipment I could afford. Smaller tanks have inherent problems due to their lack of volume. The inexperienced hobbyist may not be qualified to deal with these problems, which can in turn dissuade them from what would other wise rewarding hobby So IMO go big but go simple
I agree. And, I know it is controversial, but not everyone needs RO/DI water---much depends on your local water supply.

florida joe

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3141929
I agree. And, I know it is controversial, but not everyone needs RO/DI water---much depends on your local water supply.
True
BTW There is however one person who has been preaching small is better and that is Henry

scsinet

Ditto.
I have a circle of folks at LFSs and stuff that know me and I spend some time talking to, and they'll tell you that the #1 reason people get out of the hobby is not the expense, but rather the frustration. IMO nothing kicks a newbie out of the hobby faster than poor education and misaligned expectations.
I agree to start simple, but I'd start simple by starting with a large FOWLR tank. By not going reef, you cut out massive expensives and huge amounts of potential equipment purchases - and the confusion and frustration surrounding it all. You don't need fancy lighting, you don't need to be as particular about flow, you don't need chillers, tons of powerheads, tons of additives, the list goes on and on. When levels get out of whack in FOWLR systems, you've got more time to act before livestock is jeopardized.
Going FOWLR first allows the hobbyist to get used to the basics. Maintaining water quality, acclimating, cycling, mixing seawater, etc, without having to get confused about trace elements, calcium, etc.
A 125g tank with a large emperor HOB filter and a remora skimmer would be a great system, without a huge amount of expense, and in terms of plumbing and mechanicals, you can't get much simpler than that.
But I agree with Salty, that an RODI system is necessary. More daunting to a hobbyist is the idea of having to run to the store constantly to get more water than the idea of hooking up an RODI. I'd wager that hobbyists without an RODI are more likely to start getting lazy and using tap water, which of course leads to frustration and a prompt exit from the hobby. I haul buckets of water to my office from home (where the RODI is) to support my 24g nano, and it's a massive pain in the butt. I do it because I already have the passion for it, but if I had to go to the store all the time, forget it. JMO.

Besides, having an RODI system immediately makes it ridiculously easy for a hobbyist to do the #1 thing they can do to maintain a successful system - perform regular water changes.

florida joe

IMO nothing kicks a newbie out of the hobby faster than poor education and misaligned expectations.
My friend you are IMO exactly right

flower

+1 little tanks are harder to get balanced than big tanks...A good starter IMO is a 55g at least. I do see young people do smaller and I know it can be done, but the cost is pretty much the same for a 55g as a for a 36g or 40g...space is the only reason to go small IMO.
My basics were Test kits, 2 maxi-jet power heads, a canister filter, rocks, live sand, coralife PC lights, two heaters and a CPR back pac skimmer. I had that for a year.
Upgraded to a 75g and bought another canister and new bigger Coralife PC lights. 3 Koralia power heads 1 #4, 1 #3 and 1 #2
Upgraded from that to to a 90g, got MH lights + auto top off, used all the same equipment from the 75g. Oh yes 1 more power head (another #3 Koralia) and a few more rocks and a new larger coralife skimmer.
The 55, 75 and 90 are all 48 inches.

greenreefer

I understand what you guys are saying about larger tanks being more forgiving because of volume but I've had several friends and family get started with small tanks without issues, I think mainly because they can get into a consistent pattern of decent sized water changes.
As soon as you start talking larger tanks we start talking about sumps (return pumps, baffles, fuges, etc, etc) and rodi units because it's too much volume to run pick up.
I think an average joe that is wiling to pay attention can start with a small tank and little equipment and be succesful.
You can always turn a little tank into a frag tank later but your average reef keeper isn't going to keep the 55 or 75 the started with and the new 180 they upgraded to, so you end up pooring a bunch of money down the drain.
Going the FOWLR route is an option, just not what I'd choose.

melypr1985

I know as a newb myself I started with a VERY simple 10 gal, HOB filter and had great success with it. I've added powerheads and pc lights to it and it is still doing wonderfully. I got a 90 gal. not long after starting the 10 and the 90 has proved to be more of a problem for me (cost wise). but they are both doing great and I did do the most basic plumbing ever on the 90. i have a large sump with a return pump, skimmer and a fuge with just a line gravity feeding the sump from an overflow box.
as a newb i would deffinately agree with getting an RODI unit even if you only have a small tank. I got mine for $80 from my reef club (300 brand new) and it has been a HUGE saving! between driving to the LFS sometimes twice a week and worrying about running out before friday this has really saved me headaches. IMO if your new and you only have a small tank then try and find an RODI for cheap on CL or from a local club member. That way it is actually worth it to you instead of paying $300 for a RODI that wont pay for itself very quickly at all.

scsinet

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/3141993
As soon as you start talking larger tanks we start talking about sumps (return pumps, baffles, fuges, etc, etc) and rodi units because it's too much volume to run pick up.
Not necessarily, but definitely possible.
Going the FOWLR route is an option, just not what I'd choose.
I started straight away with full reef. I preached what I did because I don't wish the challenges and frustration I enountered on anybody.

florida joe

I know as a newb myself I started with a VERY simple 10 gal, HOB filter and had great success
what did you have in this 10 g aquarium

florida joe

so what size tank are you talking about and how did you mantain it

E

eric b 125

i agree that you CAN start small and be successful in this hobby. the problem i see with this has come in many forms. for example: "what kind of shark can i put in my 55?" and the ever popular 'tang' dilema. i see many people getting into this hobby because they like a certain kind of fish, or several different kinds, and say: that Dory is only the size of a quarter... it will fit fine into my 29 hex. i started with a 55 and thought it was HUGE when i first got it. then i discovered swf.com. because of the info i found here, and the tolerance of the other members, i decided that a 125 was as small as i could go and keep the fish i want. for me this hobby is: more, more, more. i couldnt do that with a nano.

greenreefer

http:///forum/post/3142133
so what size tank are you talking about and how did you mantain it

not sure what your asking here. I was recommending starting with a 20 - 30 gallon and my comment was referring to the typical thread where a newb says they are going to start with a 55 and then the first comment is go reef ready so you can have a sump, then the next comment is to go 75 ot bigger so you can have a tang, and then make sure you've got the baffles appropriate for a fuge in the sump, then they start talking skimmers and not just any skimmer one sized for a tank twice as big as what they are starting with and on and on.
I'm not saying that you can't start with a larger tank and still keep it simple. I'm just saying that these advice on starting up threads all seem to go this way and before you know it someone that hasn't cycled a tank yet is already building a DIY sump and asking about gluing baffles.
My main advice is to keep it simple and I personally find it easiest to start with a small tank, but feel free to start with a large tank and keep it simple. I'm just tired of people feeling like they need to reinvent the wheel before they figured out how the stock wheels work. I think it scares quite a few people.

J

jetskiking

Just my two cents on size being eisier. A larger tank is deffinetly more stable when it comes to perameters. However I believe that for a beginner not wanting to sink a bunch of money the all in ones are a great choice to get in the hobby. Are they easier to maintain? NO. Are they easier to set up? YES. Either way you need to learn how to properly maintain the perameters or your livestock will die. The larger tank is going to be more forgiving for errors but also more expensive to run.
Plain and simple. If you do your research then you will be successful with either one.

florida joe

I believe that for a beginner not wanting to sink a bunch of money the all in ones are a great choice to get in the hobby
Have you checked the price of the all in one nano tanks lately (red sea) IMO they are geared up for the hobbyist who has experience but limited space