starting a 10 gal

arch scot

i just bought my girlfriend a ten gal tank and would like to know how hard it would be to make a salt tank for her to start with she loves the one that i got.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by arch scot
i just bought my girlfriend a ten gal tank and would like to know how hard it would be to make a salt tank for her to start with she loves the one that i got.
Salt tanks are not that difficult at all. The most important thing is to be VERY patient. Welcome to the boards!!!!! There are plenty of very good articles and posts on here. Learn as much as you can before starting. Check out the archives. If you have anything specific that you would like to know, please feel free to ask. In the meantime just surf around this wonderfull site and read as much as you can

arch scot

i already have the book that u suggested. i have a 55 gallon that is doing well. i just really want to know is this possible and how to go about it?

sepulatian

i already have the book that u suggested. i have a 55 gallon that is doing well. i just really want to know is this possible and how to go about it?
You have a 55 salt?

payton 350

well as you know the water quality is the big issue with smaller tanks , bigger tanks are more forgiving. if she is really interested in it obviously help her out as much as you can but let her spend some hours on here learning all about it..

azfishgal

Yes, it's possible, but have your girlfriend read the book for herself, and then do lots of research before adding anything to the tank. She will then have a succesful start and be happy with it. Otherwise, she's going to learn the hard way and get frustrated and not want to have a tank at all. Good Luck! (Because you are asking these questions, I'm assuming your 55 gallon tank is freshwater, a little different than salt. But, I'm "assuming" so correct me if I'm wrong.)

arch scot

i do have a 55 gal that is up and running very well. the lfs told me that a 10 gal salt tank is bad. I know that it will take alot of keep but is this possible. I have a 29 gal that i would give her which one would u suggest

azfishgal

Check out the "Nano" section of this forum. Some tanks are smaller than 10 gallons, so yes, it's possible, but your maintenance is going to be much more frequent.
Can't wait to see pics once it's all set up!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Payton 350
the bigger the better IMO
Yes, I agree, but many people enjoy their nano tanks. Sometimes people don't have the space for a large tank. The maintenece is more frequent, but not any more difficult.