starting a 120 salt

cdblax

I am new to the hobby but i think the salt water fish are amazing. I have been looking into buying a 120 and starting it up can anyone tell me a list of evrything I will need to get started

q

The bio filter is one of the main decisions you will have to make. The DSB (deep sand bed) and LR (live rock) is one form and the wet/dry filter is another. These are the most popular now.
Again, knowing what you want to do is a major key. Take time to research the possibilites for at least a month before you buy. When I was first getting into the hobbie a few months ago my tank set up changed every couple of weeks for quite a while because of all the new information that I found.

sweetjesus

well I have lived and breathed saltwater for the last few weeks reading everything available!
Get a pre-drilled tank, the largest rubber maid tub that will fit under your tank in your stand, and an appropriatedly rated pump, now you will have to decide to do a reef or a fish only tank. If you want to do a Fish only, you will need to set the Sump(rubbermaid container) up as a wet/dry filter. If you are going to do a REEF, you will need to set it up as a refugium. In addition, For REEF, you will need a VHO lighting system, for Fish only you will need just regular flourescent lighting, Cost is about a $200 difference. Also I recommend going with an all glass hood, not those plastic pieces of crap. Also you will need 3 good powerheads with pre-filters. Saltwater is a completely different game than fresh water! At least that is what I am finding out! Don't forget the heaters!