Starting a new aggro tank

solandri

Hey everyone, been looking around here for a little bit but this is the first time I've posted. I'll be starting a new tank in about a month after I move into my new place and I'm looking for some opinions on setup. Haven't done anything in quite some time but I used to own a 45gal reef and worked for about 5 years in salt-water at a nice fish store in Langhorne, PA when I was in high school.
Anyway, here come the questions. I'm split between a 150 acrylic (72x24x20) from tenecor or a 180 all-glass (72x24x24) with the built-in overflows. I really like the idea of the overflows because of how much better they look. Those prefilters always get SO nasty after awhile no matter how much I would clean them. Then again, acrylic looks nicer, is lighter and won't break or leak as easily. Could I safely drill the acrylic myself to make holes for drainage and returns?
Next, I think I want to go with live sand as the substrate but I've never worked with it before. I eventually hope to maybe keep a small shark plus live sand looks better and can help regulate the tank. How much should I put in the bottom of either of those tanks?
Finally is anyone here in or near the Philadelphia area that can recommend a good lfs? I can't seem to find any decent ones and the one I used to work at isn't anything like it used to be.
Thanks in advance!
-Mike
westonm@sas.upenn.edu

mrsandcastle

just from experience go for the larger of the two tanks because no matter how large the tank it wont be big enough plaus galss is easier to clean alge off of.