Starting a New Tank

fmoss

I would like to solicit the opinions of the board on several subject concerning setting up a new tank. I have selected the aquarium itself, but not any of the filters or lighting so it is really a tabula rasa. I have decided to keep a mixed vertebrate and invertebrate environment. The tank is about 150 Gallon and I am considering using a EHEIM Wet/Dry Cannister Filter with integrated heating element. I am considering using a UV steriliser and would appreciate hearing success (or failure)stories for the same. I would also like to know if using a RO filter in addition to the Wet / Dry would be of additional benefit. I would like to freely solicit advice on a choice of protein skimmer and anything else that would be a worthwhile investment. I am not wanting to through money away, but I don't want to economise on anything that will minimise the maintenance of the environment.
Any and all opinions are welcome.
Thanks

fishgirl

You sound like everything you mentioned would be good for your tank, especially since you want to keep inverts as well. Tell me this what kind of fish do you want to keep?

sharkbait

In a all fish setup over kill dosen't exist. But when play with reef you just may filter out necessary micro plakton. That your corals love. The UV is a great investment but kill everything running through it. Remember not all agle is bad. I dont use it on my reef tank but I do use it on my fish setup. I have heard and read you can a can't use it on reefs. The R/O is great if you got the money to spend. A protein skimmer is a necessity if you are going reef. Dont forget about good lighting verts need it. Cheap timer from wallmart are good, but take up space. When play w/reefs think day/night cycles. You can be creative and half your light turn on one at a time. Duplicating sunrise and sunset. Time this with several power heads and you got tides. But this is all for the love of recreating nature.