Starting a reef tank

pancho

hiya guys and gals, I have some equipment that i'm not using laying around and going to waste. So i figured that i'd do a reef tank and was wondering if i had the right stuff to get started. I also need help in setting it up and need your help. Here's what i got so far and if i need anything else let me know.
1 20 gallon tank (hood,stand and reg light)
cc about 20lbs
power heads (marineland 550)
skilter protein skimmer 440
penguin bio-wheel 150
well that's about it so let me know if i need more and what kind of fish if any could i put in there. oh by the way the tank is a 20h and i may also use a 29 gallon tank as well. Thanks for your help.

kev

I also have a 20H, all of your equipment sounds pretty good, but your definatly going to need to upgrade the lighting if your wanting a reef tank. Your going to need at least 4-5 watts a gallon. Another thing I noticed was the CC, CC is OK, but I really think you would have better results with live sand. As for the fish you could have, there are lots of choices and im sure that many will give their opinions. I would reccomend about 3 small fish for your size tank. Clownfish are always good, and maybe a Lawnmower Blenny for the algae youll have after you get the lights. :D

saltyrich

Don't use the skilter or the cc. Since your setting up, go ahead with a dsb (4-5 inches). It's easiest now. The lighting options are numerous. Check the various threads here for suggestions. I'd go with the 29 myself. Most of us continuously want to upgrade to a bigger tank. Research the skimmer thing carefully. I use a CPR bak Pak reef ready model. It's great on tanks up to 55 gallons, but not much after that. I really like the emperor 280 power filter I've got. It's got a small biowheel in it. I would not use the big one. You'll need a heater. Go with EBO Jager. There is a lot to this hobby. I know I've missed alot. These are some of the basics. You'll also want to have about 1-1.5 lbs. of live rock per gallon.