Starting a Refugium?

smccarthy

I currently have a 40 gal. with 30 lbs. of live rock that I have had set up for 1 year now. I also have an empty 10 gal. which was being used for freshwater fish that I would like to turn into a refugium. Is this a big enough tank and can someone give me direction on how I should go about setting it up?

farslayer

Sure, it's fine. Just set it up with an overflow and a return pump, so you need three sections in the tank. Fill the middle with some LS, LR, and a bunch of macroalgaes. I'm not the best at these things, but that's the general idea.

sly

You can build a U tube siphon to move the water from your refugium to your sump. I use a 10 gallon refugium on my 72 gal tank... Here is how to make a U tube siphon. Use 3/4 inch PVC... https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/243146/u-tube-siphon-joining-two-tanks-together
For the refugium, all I did was cut a plexiglass sheet to use as a dam and I glued it in place with aquarium grade silicone. Water fills up the refugium on one side and spills over the dam on the other.
All you need is a plexiglass dam to divide the refugium into 2 chambers. One chamber will be full of water while the other one will be low to match the water level in your sump.
Put the dam close to one side of the refugium so that you have the maximum room for your deep chamber.

sign guy

Originally Posted by Sly
For the refugium, all I did was cut a plexiglass sheet to use as a dam and I glued it in place with aquarium grade silicone.
silliconing plixie and glass tend to fail after a few months I wold stick to one or the other

sly

I have had this refugium set up for 4 years and it has never failed... I glued both sides of the plexiglass and let it cure for 24 hours before I plumbed it into the tank.

cam78

If you look under "new hobbyists" then my post "Refugium help" alot of people are helping me out. Same process as you...I have a 46 gallon and have a 10 gallon just sitting around. If you guys can post any pics or add to the helpful hints on that post I would appreciate it. Question though....Is it OK to use plexi-glass rather than acrylic?

sly

I haven't used acrylic but I have never had a problem with plexiglass... Just get it thick enough to withstand the pressure. My whole sump is made of plexiglass. I bought it that way from the LFS.

sign guy

Originally Posted by Sly
I have had this refugium set up for 4 years and it has never failed... I glued both sides of the plexiglass and let it cure for 24 hours before I plumbed it into the tank.
thats great that it has not failed for you. but dose not meen its true. I sell this stuff to sign glass companys and am well aware of its capabilaties. Im not trying to flame you but I dont want to stere someone in the wrong direction.