Starting a saltwater aquarium

Hi
I am completely new to this. I have never had a fish tank. My uncle gave me a 36 gallon bow front fish tank and I have always loved salt water fish because they are so pretty, so I decided to start one. It came with all of the equipment it needed such as a Tetra Filter, heater, thermoter. All I bought was a powerhead and live sand. I will probably get a protein skimmer later on. But right now I have already put my live sand in and water mixed with the salt. Its been cycling since last friday. I decided I wanted to put rocks in so I bought 50lbs worth of dry rocks. My question is can I put it right in or do I need to do something to beforehand?

lmforbis

You will want to rince and soak the rocks for a few days.
When you put the rocks in, You will want to move the sand so the rock base is on glass then push the sand around the rock.

Thank you for the feedback! So I should buy live rock as well? Is there something else I can do other than putting a piece of live rock to help the cycle go faster?

ok thank you. I've also checked the salinity of the water and right now its at 1.024. Should it be lower and if so how do I get it lower?

Kristin1234

Your fine with were you are. I keep mine at 1.025.

If you are testing with a hydrometer though, that may be a false reading.

Kristin1234

You have to calibrate them with straight RO water though, so if you don't have any get some from the lfs as well.

It's a good investment. Well worth the money. And you only have to buy it once. Of course unless you break yours or something. :)

You will want to rince and soak the rocks for a few days.
When you put the rocks in, You will want to move the sand so the rock base is on glass then push the sand around the rock.
When will i know the rocks are ready to go into the aquarium. I just hosed it down really good until the water became clear and now I have them soaking in a few buckets.